Ben Carson has nutty theories about the Egyptian pyramids

Okay how about all good archeological evidence we have points to all of them being burial chambers and not anything else. It looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc…

4 Likes

What evidence is that exactly?

Didn’t we find coffins in them?

Were they put there by mistake?

2 Likes

We found rough hewn stone boxes which we labeled coffins despite the fact they they don’t resemble any other Egyptian sarcophagi and contained no mummies

oh, and there is the inconvenient fact that the royalty where buried elsewhere… we did find those sites.

Oooh I just googled him. Yeah he looks to be a loon of higher order.
There is plenty to read in just the wikipedia article that say THESE WERE TOMBS, and lot of linked citations.

From his own website
Explains in detail how the angles and geometry of the Great Pyramid record a shift of the world’s axis in 3980 BCE and predict more to come

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

10 Likes

So you attack the source without examining the evidence therein or providing any evidence that they are tombs?

Dude the source is certified Coast To Coast funtime material and while it may be amusing and more fun to read than the TPP text. Not gonna give it any consideration other the guy is a loon.
More fun
Debunks the “pyramids as tombs” theory and shows how they are “recovery vaults” to ensure the rebirth of civilization after a global disaster

recovery vaults? really? why do people come up with this stuff? the world is a pretty awesome and amazing place without having to make things up.

ETA what makes his kook theory any better than the other kook theories about the pyramids? And there are quite a few.

7 Likes

The point is that there are other theories and if you want to call them tombs you need something more than, “We’ve called em tombs for 1900 years now”, TobinL. The source and alternate theories are irrelevant. I posted a link to someone who has actual nutty theories to illustrate that there are alternative ideas not to support a particular one. I’m a skeptic here looking for some support of the tomb theory,

Edit to add: If it’s 12 noon and Charlie Manson says it’s daytime, I suppose you would say it isn’t daytime since Charlie is a nutter

There are 52 reference links on Wikipedia. Go to them. I am not here to do your homework.

7 Likes

That’s funny. I followed your one posted link saying they are tombs and found nothing to support that assertion on the link you provided. But now you assert I have to follow the sources in the article which never says there is evidence of a tomb. Sounds like you don’t like the idea that you have been repeating a baseless theory.

Well, there is certainly a definite consensus; you will have a tough time finding serious historians or archaeologists who question their role as tombs. The great pyramids are only the largest of some hundred Egyptian pyramids. These all are relatively solid with chambers, which when not empty have been found to contain objects like sarcophagi, mummies, and funerary inscriptions.

Certainly none of them are built anything like granaries, which as pointed out are known, and amazingly tend to be built with space for storing grain. I know you said you don’t actually support the granary theory, but since you still called it more reasonable than the norm, I’m going to point out it’s not. Particularly not if you’re going to credit it to a biblical figure of dubious historicity on no evidence, as Carson does.

Creighton has pointed out some differences to try to separate the great pyramids from the others. But these are hardly of a magnitude that suggests to anyone they must be so different in nature, except people who are already committed to some other idea. In his case, it looks like the Orion correlation theory, which is really based on much thinner evidence than even just extrapolation from the slightly-different smaller tombs – heck, I would say even than blindly trusting Herodotus, who at least talked to people from that country.

15 Likes

Carson’s business relationship with Mannatech makes him an expert in pyramid schemes.

15 Likes

I’ve heard that but no one seems to be able to point me in the direction of any such evidence. The sarcophagi seem to be just stone boxes unlike all the other sarcophagi in the Egypt (heck een cats got nice ones), the “mummies” were bits and pieces - nothing whole, and the inscriptions are not unique to the pyramids and don’t match what’s found at known burial sites.
Concerning consensus, without serious examination it seems as sound as the consensus that evil humors cause disease. Experts repeating what experts say doesn’t qualify as evidence. I think that’s called an appeal to authority.

edit to add: the great pyramids btw had no inscriptions or mummies

5 Likes

There are more Nubian pyramids than Egyptian. They’re also tombs.

7 Likes

small pyramid built to cover an existing tomb. It was not a tomb itself. The actual tomb is like every other tomb in the valley

No that’s the coffin/casket/whateverthepropernameis pulled out the the giant stone box that nobody stole, cause well duh giant stone box though they did a good job at removing any gold and such from the exterior of them.

2 Likes

Nice theory and one that a lot of people like. But it has no evidence to support it at all.

Yeah done here.

23 Likes

He is not the only one.

Evangelicals believe all sorts of crazy things. Find out for yourself. Find one of their bookstores and see for yourself. Read the books that they read. Don’t believe what they tell outsiders, learn what they tell each other.

Evidence is not a requirement for faith. Just the opposite it seems.

2 Likes