Ben Carson has nutty theories about the Egyptian pyramids

At the risk of derailing this fascinating discussion on the trufax about pyramids …

That’s an interesting, and probably inadvertent, insight: Trump doesn’t have policies, or positions, of beliefs, or principles. He has a repertoire of one-liners, to trot out in ‘debates’.

He must think ad hominem is just some weird branch of evolutionary theory.

14 Likes

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyramid_of_Giza the volume is 2,583,283 cubic metres which is the number upon which I based my internal estimates

I just have to concur - that is one of the best Bester stories ever, maybe even the bestest Bester.

Damn it, and this has just reminded me I no longer have the paperback collection which I first read it in, Dark Side of the Earth.

1 Like

Funny thing happens when you calculate the volume of a pyramid as length * height / 3 instead of length^2 * height / 3. (And then don’t even try to apply any real world sense to your answer to see if it looks right).

At any rate, that makes the idea it was for grain even more absurd, making the internal dimensions less than one ten thousandth of the external dimensions.

7 Likes

a larder is a larder is a larder

7 Likes

If it’s 12 noon and Charlie Manson says it’s midnight and publishes a 20-page pdf proving it and every other source I have ever heard of that is not incarcerated in some sort of institution and has peer-reviewed papers says it is daylight, I am not going to read much past the 2nd page of the pdf.

17 Likes

My larder is at the bottom of a 2000 foot shaft about as wide as my shoulders that I have to shimmy down whenever I want to get a can or a new bag of rice. A dozen men died in it’s construction.

24 Likes

Not to mention that the biblical story was that Joseph had 7 years of plentiful harvests to collect the grain, but it’s estimated that the Great Pyramid of Giza took at least 20 years to build. And he was collecting the grain from every one of those seven years, so there needed to be large storage silos for the grain from pretty much the very beginning of the seven years. That doesn’t give you enough time to build such a giant waste of storage space and effort. And the verse that mentions the collection of the grain says that Joseph stored it in the cities. There aren’t great grain pyramids at every city in the kingdom from the same period of time.

4 Likes

Pffft. Amateur

3 Likes

Unless you assume that the Egyptians were crazier than Ben Carson, that is quite the interesting conclusion – as has been pointed out, they had practical granaries – they left the crazy stuff to their religious beliefs.
How does this structure equate to any use other than satisfying royalty’s vanity.

There is no useful space.
Here are pictures of the “King’s Chamber” in the Great Pyramid:

Notice the crypt (unless that is what the grain was stored in) and the walls are pretty rose granite that came from a large distance away. The volume of the pyramid is 2,592,968.43 m3 – the volume of the King’s Chamber is ~300 m3
It’s either a temple or a tomb – historical evidence points to tombs…

edit for better interior graphic via: “007 Khufu” by R.F.Morgan - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons.

14 Likes

9 Likes

:musical_note: @Humbabella’s Larder brings all the boys to their death :musical_note:

10 Likes

Citation needed for that. Where in the Middle Ages? Among what sect?

My favourite on this list is that Carson seems to have claimed to have come up with the idea of Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, 30 years late, but get this: the thing was nobody had seen colours apart from black and white before this. Joseph invented brown and blew everyone’s head…

Okay, his trademark drawl probably isn’t drugs, but has he had a major incident such as a brain tumour? Seriously.

I’ve been listening to this during the week while feeling in quite a disassociative state with a virus. It reminds me of him.

What, Joseph didn’t give the aliens a bite to eat? No wonder they didn’t come back.

2 Likes

Well, he seems like somebody whose hands have never twitched in his life. He seems like somebody who would take as long as it takes to figure out every single little cut. The man is not in a hurry.

1 Like

So, did he get exposed to a lot of aerosolized brain matter during that whole neurosurgeon gig?

1 Like

6 Likes

Oooh, enter prions!

7 Likes

Exactly. It feels like there’s something up with Dr. Carson beyond the “catering to the religious fringe” part of campaigning.