Ben Stein is sad that there isn't a “large African-American woman” on his syrup bottle

I would hazard a guess he doesn’t even buy syrup and probably has never bought that particular brand before, but he’s complaining about it because it’s low hanging fruit for folks who love to complain about PC culture gone wrong

11 Likes

Apparently there are a bunch of Stein apologists who are unable to separate Aunt Jemima (a corporate mascot based on a racist archetype and named after a character from an old Minstrel show) from Nancy Green, the formerly enslaved woman who was the first of dozens of women hired to portray that character.

The way they see it you can’t take the racist mascot off the bottle without disrespecting the accomplishments of the real-life woman who was hired to play the character. I call bullshit on that. It’s like saying that recognizing the racism in Gone With the Wind is disrespectful to Hattie McDaniel.

18 Likes

Aren’t there fuckin’ always?

15 Likes

Love this show in general. Also “White coat, black art” also from CBC.

3 Likes

Old man yells at free enterprise. He’s welcome to start manufacturing syrup that showcases his racism, if he thinks it’s something that will sell.

10 Likes

Honestly, I do not understand the attachment to these brand icons. So many have come and gone though the years and damn I’m stunned this one didn’t go away back in the late 60s.

12 Likes

Hint: it’s not about the branding and marketing itself. It’s about maintaining the White supremacist hegemony.

22 Likes

“The woke mob at Frito-Lay has erased the accomplishments of Mexican Americans by retiring the Frito Bandito!!”

16 Likes

Yeah that.

I didn’t hear them screaming when we lost the The Domino’s Noid, Buster Brown or the Ty-D-Bowl Man.

Ooo! How about Punchy the Hawaiian Punch Guy or Charlie Tuna?

19 Likes

Sho’ nuff;

I know I didn’t hear a fucking peep about any concern for any other brand mascot over the last thirty-something years, which wasn’t directly tied to some racist or sexist ideology.

Weird how that happens…

27 Likes

It was full of lies, like most things Republican:

As noted in the disclaimer during the closing credits, prize money won by contestants was paid from a prize budget furnished by the producers of the show. Any money left over in that budget at the end of a season was given to Stein. If the total amount paid out during a season exceeded that budget, the production company paid the excess. In this way, Stein was never in any danger of losing money from his own pocket.

15 Likes

… won’t somebody think of Mr. Delicious?

21 Likes

Ben Stein’s father worked for Nixon and the American Enterprise Institute. I guess he comes by it naturally.

16 Likes

So how about Stacy Abrams branded Maple Syrup with the profits going to fight voter suppression?

6 Likes

And if ~$40/gallon for maple syrup doesn’t really do it for you, you might give apple syrup a try. A caterer friend turned me on to it – just boil down apple cider until it hits 230F. Tangy, sweet, about $10/gallon if you buy the cider in season from a cidery, and makes the whole house smell wonderful while its boiling down. A gallon of cider makes about a pint of syrup.

10 Likes

POS asshole probably fantasizes being served all his meals by Gone With the Wind’s Hattie McDaniel.

3 Likes

We talking US nonalcoholic cider, or UK somewhat to goodness that’s strong amounts of alcohol cider?

5 Likes

I thought it was Ben Stein who worked for Nixon?

13 Likes

No Way Omg GIF by Lillee Jean

Black women aren’t fucking mascots. They’re human beings.

She’s doing plenty of work fighting voter suppression and doesn’t need to brand shit to get that done.

22 Likes

I am sad to learn that Ben Stein is still alive. It’s been so long since I’ve had to hear anything from him that I just assumed…

7 Likes