"Benji" is one of the greatest movies of all time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/benji-is-one-of-the-greate.html

2 Likes

Agreed. Up there with 1972 Ben, where a a lonely boy befriends Ben, the leader of a violent pack of killer rats.

Donny Osmond, then a popular teen idol, says that the theme song was offered to him, but his schedule prevented him recording it and the song was given to Michael Jackson.

Benji made me cry too.

4 Likes

I havent seen that particular one but i hated the movie Benji The Hunted. Mainly because there was a point in time where it was on TV constantly, sometimes multiple times a day and after a while it just bored/annoyed me

2 Likes

Are we all just collectively agreeing to pretend “Oh! Heavenly Dog” never happened? Because I’m cool with that.

5 Likes

Turner y Hooch

1 Like

My mom loved “Benji” when I was a little kid, but at the risk of drawing the Boing Boing ire, eh, never really did anything for me. For whatever reason, “Lassie Come Home” was my go-to dog movie.

1 Like

Old Yeller would be mine, but i don’t have the emotional capacity to watch Yeller die today.

7 Likes

Oh same here, but man, having the kid pull the trigger on Old Yeller still tears me up.

1 Like

AKA “Old Crimson” as he’s known in my family. My sick sick family.

7 Likes

As a cat person, I’m more of a Harry & Tonto fan myself. image

6 Likes
13 Likes

Spoiler. Jeebus.

6 Likes

Old movie trailers are so weird.

If I owned a movie theatre I’d run this trailer every once in a while just to mess with people.

6 Likes

My jam was Homeward Bound and also Milo & Otis

3 Likes

So, do we have to have a favorite dog movie? Because I don’t, really.

I think there’s a dog in Blue Velvet?

4 Likes

No. That was an ear. A human ear.

My favorite dog movie was the remake of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.”

7 Likes

But bringing it back to happy…

6 Likes

Trivia from IMDB:

Higgins played the “dog” for the seven year run of the TV series Petticoat Junction (1963) (which also starred Edgar Buchanan). “Benji” was his last acting role. His urn is inside the casket of his trainer, Frank Inn. In the sequel films, Benji was played by Benji, the original Benji’s daughter.

This film was apparently a guilty pleasure of Alfred Hitchcock.

9 Likes
2 Likes

So glad the filmmakers didn’t go with their original choice, “Love to Love You Baby.”

4 Likes