Bernie Sanders' Ben and Jerry's flavor: top 10% is chocolate you smash and mix with the 90% below

I haven’t read it, but I will take a guess it says a lot about ice crystal formation and aeration. (Imma gonna check out amazon in a few minutes :D)

1 Like

That, and the microstructure of the fat/protein assemblies, the role and use of emulsifiers, stabilizers, and other additives, water-sugar relations, and more. Way more.

Man, I got into a heated argument with my sister in law a few years ago about emulsifiers. She is an RN, and emulsification is an extremely specific thing in medicine (so I learned).

I have nothing but love for the food scientists that figure out how to make ‘slow churned ice cream’ that is actually produced at a ton per hour. Honestly, while flavor is the biggest goal, texture is the most elusive. And that is where chemistry wins.

1 Like

I wonder if micro- or nanoencapsulation could be done by using an emulsifier that’d polymerize with UV light. Form an emulsion with desired size of droplets, then pour it in a thin layer through a beam of UV, then centrifuge…

That’s not a half bad idea. You may need to shatter or spray the oil in a mist, used extremely fine grained sugar, but it could work. Actually now that I’m thinking about it, the process would be similar to making dry malt extract. But instead of just a simple sugar you would introduce an aerosoled fat and uv.

How many experiments do we have on our plate now :smile: Where do we get interns?

1 Like

A friend of mine 3D prints Hilsch vortex tubes and sticks them on the end of pvc pipes. They work great.

1 Like

German supermarkets sell chocolate ice cream that uses real chocolate. It is quite unlike the stuff Americans are used to. For one thing, a lot of US chocolate seems to contain butyric acid, which gives it a bitter, acidic taste which is compensated by adding sugar.
Unfortunately once you are used to German (and Swiss-edit) 74% or 84% chocolate, you can never go back.

So we know what kind of chocolate would be in Trump ice cream. Coconut oil, butyric acid, invert cane sugar and artificial chocolate flavoring.

4 Likes

You have reminded me of a summer working in a pharmaceutical company as a student. There was a fun machine for pulverising sugar, a tonne at a time. On the gearbox was a big lever labelled “knives forward” and “knives backward”. The entire room was explosion proof because fine sugar dust in the air makes a nice barothermic bomb.

When I got back to U, I thought I would take a look in the library for information about this machine. Sure enough, there was a fat textbook, from the 1930s, about the technology of rotary pulverising machines.

The differential equations started on about page 30 and continued for several hundred more pages. Not something you knock up in an hour or two with a 3D printer.

7 Likes

Ahhh yes, and as long as we’re talking flavors derived by the British, there’s always Frog and Peach.

Yeah, I was envisioning something like this, but with far less chocolate. After all, 1% of 1 US pint = 4.73176473 milliliters.

Also, I think that mint is the wrong base. Since most of us 99%ers work long hours to make ends meet and a lot of us are drinking stimulants to get us through the day, I propose the other 99% of the ice cream should be barely sweetened coffee ice cream. Maybe with a touch [sea] salt, connoting the honest sweat off our brows.

If this were really comprehensive, we’d have to include a bit of cayenne pepper in the chocolate part, so that the 1% would most definitely feel the Bern/burn.

3 Likes

They could choose a material that is less metaphorically muddled, as well as being more breakable. Using ‘chocolate’ to represent the American elite doesn’t seem especially apt. Maybe it should be a single, large, vanilla wafer.

5 Likes

White chocolate? That’s mostly really old?

2 Likes

Mature, please.

2 Likes

If the layer of chocolate on top was 1% of the total depth, you could redistribute it throughout all the ice cream in the carton and scarcely notice the difference.

You have to bust up the top 10%, and redistribute that, to get some chocolate in every spoonful. And even then, every spoonful for the previous 90% is still, what, 89% non-chocolate?

This is a perfect metaphor for Sanders’ fiscal policy. I could try for months and not come up with a better.

Except the 1% layer represents the share of population, not their share of wealth. If you wanted to represent the 1%’s share of wealth, which is what your redistribution metaphor is failing to do, more than half the pint would be a solid block of chocolate.

10 Likes

Only if it was some kind of super-dense neutron star chocolate. Otherwise, your maths doesn’t add up.

2 Likes

If Bernie has made a specific proposal to confiscate wealth, please point me to it and I will gladly concede the point. If he’s only talking about the untaxed income of the to 1%, I’ll stand on my statement.

He’s not focused on the top 10% or the top 1%, he’s focused on the top .1% and above.

So on one hand, you’re correct…but that’s because he’s not wanting to catch a bunch of hard-working successful Americans in a broad net, he’s instead targeting his policies on the problem.

A couple of relevant bits are…

1. Demanding that the wealthy and large corporations pay their fair share in taxes. As president, Sen. Sanders will stop corporations from shifting their profits and jobs overseas to avoid paying U.S. income taxes. He will create a progressive estate tax on the top 0.3 percent of Americans who inherit more than $3.5 million. He will also enact a tax on Wall Street speculators who caused millions of Americans to lose their jobs, homes, and life savings.
  1. Expanding Social Security by lifting the cap on taxable income above $250,000. At a time when the senior poverty rate is going up, we have got to make sure that every American can retire with dignity and respect.
  1. Breaking up huge financial institutions so that they are no longer too big to fail. Seven years ago, the taxpayers of this country bailed out Wall Street because they were too big to fail. Yet, 3 out of the 4 largest financial institutions are 80 percent bigger today than before we bailed them out. Sen. Sanders has introduced legislation to break these banks up. As president, he will fight to sign this legislation into law.

That helpful? :smile:

2 Likes

Good luck. We need a complete overhaul of the tax code for that. I mean it is almost as bad as them putting in, “If you’re CEO is named Bob and born in March, you get a tax cut.” with all the special interest loop holes everywhere.

I shouldn’t NEED a huge form to make sure I am getting the best return personally. Simplify it.

Let them fail. We could have survived Wall Street failing. We just got chicken. No need to break them up, per se. But we also need to keep closer eye on the financial sectors regulation. THAT requires a subtle touch in order to not impede them, but enough oversight to keep them from fleecing people. Maybe put the NSA on that.

1 Like