Bernie Sanders concedes Democratic race, endorses Hillary Clinton

Good for you. But then I would expect you to see the acute parallels of the two situation.

1 Like

Oh, I know.

And I don’t deny Clinton won, she clearly did. And Sanders always said he’d support the nominee, so this isn’t news.

It’s just that everything’s shit.

I guess maybe I’ll get a decent congressperson, though. But the way things are going, I expect her to lose, too.

If Sanders opens up his mailing list to Clinton and she asks for money, she’ll get told to fuck off and go give another speech to Wall St, though.

16 Likes

It’s possible that we’re looking at two families being in the White House for 28 of the 36 years between 1989 thru 2024.

12 Likes

No reason you can’t do both!

16 Likes

The United States’ cultural lionizing of the presidency tells me we still miss having a monarchy, we just don’t want to admit it.

14 Likes

In the state in which I live, the Republican nominee for president has carried the state in every election since 1968.

Since the election of 2000, the ratio of votes for the R vs D candidates has been in the neighborhood of 2:1

R:D :: 2:1

Fucking 2:1

I can vote for whoever I please, because my vote doesn’t count. Not in this state. Not for the presidential election.

Still, I’m voting Clinton, because fuck Drumpf.

I could consider voting Libertarian (even as awful as they are) because I’m almost as revolted to be voting for Clinton as for the Donald, but if the election goes more like it did in 1996, I would be kicking myself for years to come.

So, fuck me, I’m voting Clinton.

I really, really, really want the US to find a better way to elect presidents.

14 Likes

Storytime, ok?

A few years ago, my Democratic Senator and Democratic governor were in hard, super close races against well funded Republican opponents in our reddish state (Montana). They looked all set to lose, giving total control of the state to a local GOP literally run by militia whackjobs and Neo-Nazis.

So anyways, an environmental organization steps up, organizes a PAC, and starts advertising… for the libertarian. They fool about 5% of local GOP voters into voting libertarian, and the Democratic candidates skate through, winning with something like 48-47-5%, rather than losing 48-52%. And now we (at least temporarily) have a state run by responsible, good people, instead of Nazis.

31 Likes

Ah yes, the end of fluoridation, and the introduction of homeopathy as a nationally recognized medicine. The green party is the one for me!

5 Likes

Remember that even a successful Bernie run would have still called for another element:

Electing a politician amenable to your causes is only a small part of the battle. You have to fight for it in the open, as long as you’re able.

9 Likes

As a Canadian I confess that I’m not as well informed about this campaign and the candidates as most of the folks here, but this really strikes me as the wishiest of wishful thinking.

Clinton (like Obama) seems very similar to a Canadian federal Liberal: likely to campaign from the left and govern from the centre-right (and would do so even if not forced to cope with a Republican-dominated legislative branch). More progressive than the main opposing party on social issues, but essentially peddling the same-old, same-old on everything else.

Am I missing something?

20 Likes

That’s a broad brush. Did you mean to say, “Bernie proves to be better than a small but vocal group of Bernie supporters who don’t represent the majority of Bernie supporters?”

16 Likes

Is Pokemon Go A Plot By Hillary Clinton To Distract Snake People From Supporting Bernie Sanders During The Convention?

7 Likes

I’m not a big Hillary fan, but you know, with a progressive congress and people pulling her to the Left on things, she’d probably be a capable and adroit leader.

So now we’ve gotta figure out how to make some lefty wingnuts win local elections. Shouldn’t be THAT hard, right-wing wingnuts do it all the time, right?

Best thing to do now is stack the deck!

2020’s not gonna be pretty, though. If they repair the damage Trump inflicts…or if Hillary has one of her perennial “scandals” (and this time people care about it)…

All the more reason to vote Lefty Wingnut in 2016 and 2018. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Regardless of what the British version has done, the Green Party of the United States rejected a platform proposal calling for the end of fluoridation.

And they’ve also removed references to homeopathy in their party platform.

I’ll give you a “C” for effort though.

13 Likes

Not that I can see. Except the DNC is more to the centre-right than the LPC. But otherwise I think you’ve got it.

9 Likes

[quote=“Espresso, post:30, topic:81337”]
As a Canadian I confess that I’m not as well informed about this campaign and the candidates as most of the folks here, but this really strikes me as the wishiest of wishful thinking.

Clinton (like Obama) seems very similar to a Canadian federal Liberal: likely to campaign from the left and govern from the centre-right (and would do so even if not forced to cope with a Republican-dominated legislative branch). More progressive than the main opposing party on social issues, but essentially peddling the same-old, same-old on everything else.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]You’re not missing much. You’re actually completely right. What Beschizza is missing are the last 20 years, in which the entire Democratic party has moved to the left, away from centrism and the DLC/New Democrats/Third Way crap. Hillary’s positions at the start of the campaign were further left than her 2008 positions, and even more further left than her (husband’s) 1992 positions.

Bernie didn’t so that, the Democratic party losing almost all of it’s white dudes and becoming significantly more female and Black+Brown did that. The Democratic voting base is simply more liberal than it was 20 years ago, so it’s politicians are as well.

6 Likes

[quote=“CarlMud, post:31, topic:81337, full:true”]
That’s a broad brush. Did you mean to say, “Bernie proves to be better than a small but vocal group of Bernie supporters who don’t represent the majority of Bernie supporters?”
[/quote]Yes, I did. Thanks.

9 Likes

It’s too bad the Pirate Party isn’t more well known. (And also with better elucidated policies…)

5 Likes

It’s Australia. Vote for whoever you want, but Box Jellyfish is still going to win. At best, it’ll be a surprise upset by Funnel Web Spider.

18 Likes