Bernie Sanders is more popular than Trump, but the press ignores him

Fringe candidates doing well early is not so surprising. But he is so far beyond the pale that I would expect him to face fierce resistance once there is any concrete danger of him leading in delegates.

The crazy guys tend to win the early primaries before fading quietly away: Buchanan, Huckabee, Santorum, etc.

1 Like

Ya, I guess youā€™re right, it doesnā€™t really matter who becomes president.

11 Likes

Yet every time thereā€™s a poll Bernie does just fine against the Republicans.

Heā€™s not behind Clinton because heā€™s not a powerful candidate. Heā€™s behind because heā€™s not getting the chance to debate and not getting the same face time as Clinton is. Heā€™s losing on the narrative and not getting sufficient chances to overcome that, and the media acting like heā€™s not a legitimate candidate is precisely why we have this problem.

(And, arguably, an insight into why this whole country is a complete mess)

10 Likes

I almost said, ā€œCanadian citizenship ā€” disqualified!ā€

Then I realized ā€¦

:frowning:

6 Likes

Maybe. Heā€™s also behind because he has no support among Black and Hispanic populations. Thatā€™s a pretty big deal, especially for the democrats. I went to a rally in Houston last July and it felt a little like being at a Vampire Weekend show.

I didnā€™t say it doesnā€™t matter, but I do think people vastly overestimate the influence and power held by the president.

3 Likes

Smaller means yes, if someone did take interest in them they could apply pressure or temptation to make something happen. CNN may be beholden to itā€™s masters, but it is less likely to be strong armed from an outside force.

Also, in general (not talking about BB), but if you want to read bat shit crazy talking points with little to no legitimacy, it is going to be on some smaller sight where who ever owns it is pushing their agenda and they arenā€™t trying to keep a larger general audience but pander to one group.

I donā€™t know if the ā€œmediaā€ has a conspiracy that ā€œsquelch[es] a candidate whose policies are far less favorable to massive corporationsā€, but yes, they filter what they talk about. I honestly think they talk about what ever generates the most interest. Bernie isnā€™t nearly as exciting as the Clown Trump.

BB is pretty hip and I imagine most if not all of the editors would vote for him over Trump. But yet instead of a post a day talking about how awesome Bernie is, we get a post or more a day talking about what a bafooon Trump is. Because conflict generates interest which generates clicks and money.

You know, most of the time, no, I really donā€™t think it does. Yeah, some things might change, some stuff you might like or not like will be passed. But no one person is going to ruin America nor make it significantly better. Obama was neither the nations death rattle, nor did he bring about an era of promised hope and change. Hell I would say we are much more fearful and cynical than we were 8 years ago.

3 Likes

More black voters are behind Hillary because sheā€™s the presumptive Democratic nominee, not because they support her policies more than they do Bernieā€™s. And a huge reason that Hillary is the presumptive nominee is because the corporate media have been treating her that way since this whole too-early campaign season started, all while ignoring Bernie. If theyā€™d been paying more (let alone equal) attention to Bernie, far more black voters would support him than do now (far more than Hillary? tough to say, but yeah, maybe).

13 Likes

I think I will withhold my opinion right now. But, this is a very interesting site that one should look at for reality checks on this kind of discussion here:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107664930

Just click on the little graph icons, and then check ā€œinverse axisā€ and you will see the implied chance % for each race+candidate.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t the head-to-heads be more useful? We KNOW that Clintonā€™s getting all the media attention and Sanders is getting ignored, that was the point of the original article.

http://www.270towin.com/2016-polls/2016-general-election-matchups/

1 Like

Care to explain how that makes any sense at all? Is that some kind of backhanded black sheeple comment?

2 Likes

Oh, I am deeply disappointed in many of my fellow Americans.

To paraphrase George Carlin, ā€œPicture the average American ā€¦ half of them are dumber than that.ā€

6 Likes

How does it NOT make sense? It was a general comment about the fact that the press has been treating Clinton like the only serious candidate and have only recently (and grudgingly) started giving Sanders a platform at all.

None of this has anything to do with how well Sanders would perform as president or how well heā€™d do in the General election, itā€™s about the fact that the media has been treating Clinton like the only legitimate candidate for most of this cycle. Itā€™s not like African Americans or Hispanics would flip out if Sanders won or anything.

8 Likes

No, my question was why the unfair media problem would apply to black (and hispanic) voters more than white voters?

If Sanders has support of 25% of democratic voters, then you would hope that itā€™s 25% of white, 25% of black, 25% of hispanic, etcā€¦ Not 32% of white democrats, 1% of black democrats, 2% of hispanic, ā€¦ (I donā€™t know what the actual numbers are).

1 Like

I donā€™t see evidence that the same will go with Sanders. First of all, the grassroots activists and supporters that surround Sanders are vastly more powerful, intelligent, widespread, diverse and craftier than Trumpā€™s brown shirts can ever even imagine.

As far as Obama goes, he chose to abandon his grassroots movement for the most part after he was elected. Itā€™s basically the same corporatist game plan that Hillary will follow if sheā€™s elected.

Bernie Sanders will not do that, he will foster our grassroots movements that surround him after heā€™s elected and thatā€™s been part of our mutual plan for quite a long time now.

As a matter of fact, the main premise of the massive, historic event back in July held by Sanders and his grassroots activists was about utilizing grassroots before, during and AFTER Sanders is elected.

Bernie Sanders Hosts Biggest Organizing Event of 2016 So Far

Bernie Sanders hosted a massive grassroots organizing event on Wednesday evening that featured simultaneous parties in all 50 states ā€¦ More than 100,000 people had RSVPed to participate in some 3,500 parties in houses, living rooms and coffee shops ā€¦

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/1/1/117797d5d758bfe5d04c5f92a52f913e6ceeb158_1_690x398.png

The plan is for our massive, grassroots movements that surround and support Bernie Sanders to unseat obstructionist Republicans and establishment Democrats AFTER heā€™s elected. Weā€™re going to do it with the most massive ā€œget out the voteā€ action ever launched in our nationā€™s history along with nationwide word-of-mouth campaigns to get progressives in place locally, statewide and nationally.

Obama didnā€™t do that. Hillary canā€™t and wonā€™t do it. And, Trumpā€™s supporters are morons.

The corporate media will NOT tell you this, butā€¦

Weā€™re goddam ready.

24 Likes

He has that problem compared to Clinton, that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s an actual problem. Bill had a strong reputation with the minority communities and Bernie got trolled by some less-than-helpful Black Lives Matter protesters.ā€¦so until he gets enough time to overcome that a lot of people are going to pick Clinton over him. That doesnā€™t mean they like Clinton X% better, itā€™s just as possible that individuals like her 1% better but are forced into a binary choice.

It certainly doesnā€™t mean any of them are going to like any of the Republican candidates any better than either of them.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s with the event in, er, Calgary?

There were meetings worldwide. Itā€™s both an online and offline effort and grassroots people of other nations are assisting our various online efforts.

4 Likes

That sounds great! When are they going to start?

1 Like

When are they going to start?

Hmmmā€¦

It started a long while ago while you perhaps had your nose in the corporate media narratives.

15 Likes