Bernie Sanders is more popular than Trump, but the press ignores him

We’re…talking about big corporations influencing people, not the other way around.

Yeah, I was being semi-facetious.

It would be nice to see that action have greater influence on poll numbers.

Next Tuesday I’m going to be in Iowa and am trying to fit a stop at his event in Harlan in my calendar. I’m a supporter (since seeing him in Houston last summer), but I’m not going to be naive about his chances of winning the nomination. I’m hoping he can at least shift the dialog a little to the left.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m not sure it can with the current methodologies many mainstream polls utilize.

Too many of the polls are antiquated with a large focus on landlines and very little regard for social media indicators. It skews polls against the very same people that are most likely to vote for Bernie Sanders. I think the establishment is in for a hell of a surprise turnout on the upcoming election days.

[quote=“Chesterfield, post:63, topic:70876”]
I’m a supporter (since seeing him in Houston last summer), but I’m not going to be naive about his chances of winning the nomination.
[/quote]Don’t get me wrong, I think we’re in for a harrowing struggle against Hillary Clinton. I think if we do win, it’ll be a very close, nail-biting race to the very end. The establishment will not go down without a hell of a fight. For everything one of her lackeys does, we have to work at least twenty times harder to counteract their efforts.

That said, there’s plenty of indicators that show that Bernie Sanders can win against Hillary Clinton and it’s very clear that once we do that, we’ll steamroll any Republican nominee afterwards.

7 Likes

(jk)

2 Likes

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/c/5/c5efe330458fc45358cacb1a033b3648d8a42fa7.jpg

The key word is “nasty”.

4 Likes

I agree with your point about him not actually doing most of what he says or hints at.

But, removing even him from office would be hard - majority in the house to impeach and 2/3 of the senate to convict.

Also, have we considered the possibility that liberals (such as many journalists) want Trump to be the Republican nominee, knowing he is exceedingly unlikely to win the general election? Not as a conspiracy or anything, just people each thinking they’re clever and the system doing something insane as a result?

1 Like

Related:

7 Likes

Is the DSA is piloting one or more GOTV startups for municipal and county elections along with the GOTV for Sen. Sanders?

Increasing local organization and representation is important for contesting the current misalignment and misallocation of funding in the U.S. House.

News Flash

Many elderly people who watch FOX News, avoid social media and still have landlines prefer Trump over Sanders.

10 Likes

From everything I understand, Trump has virtually no chance of taking the Republican primary, even if the leadership wasn’t gaming out a convention designed to block him: as popular as he is with his chunk of the Republican electorate, there are more Republicans who will never vote for him. It will be a deeply divided party, but in the end a majority (or plurality) will coalesce around someone, anyone, else.

As for Sanders, he’s sitting in a similar position to a certain first term Senator 8 years ago. As Kos explains, the situations are certainly not analogous, but that makes Sanders a much more serious candidate for President than Trump.

7 Likes

Speaking of which…

Today is December 17th, 2015.

Now here’s a headline from December 18th, 2007:

Clinton Maintains Large Lead Over Obama Nationally

That was the same time before the primary election as we are today. And… we all know how that went…

9 Likes

I guess I can understand why the press keeps covering Trump.

Watching an election cycle is a bit like like watching NASCAR. When everything goes normally it’s frankly a pretty dull spectacle, just a bunch of people going around in predetermined motions until someone eventually edges out a lead. But somewhere deep down, most of us are secretly hoping one of the drivers will spin out and cause a pileup just so we can all gawk at the flames. Trump is that pile of burning wreckage.

5 Likes

One last bit to chew on…

10 Likes

It’s interesting to note that Gallup has gotten out of the primary polling business because their record is so bad.

2 Likes

[quote=“Chesterfield, post:81, topic:70876”]
It’s interesting to note that Gallup has gotten out of the primary polling business because their record is so bad.
[/quote]The telling thing is that their poor methodologies are very similar to the pollsters that are still in business today and are systematically excluding Sanders supporters from their polls.

3 Likes

At first I thought you said landmines! =:0 Wouldn’t surprise me, either way.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Somewhat related:

Really interesting and symbolic that’s the result of a landslide nationwide VOTE of its members as apposed to listening to the establishment (including Howard Dean) who told the DFA to support Clinton.

Conventional wisdom (and media) had said the DFA support would go to Hillary Clinton… the voters surprised them and voted otherwise.

3 Likes

Of course, that would be the median American, not the average. Technically they could be the same, but that’s unlikely — for one thing, intelligence has a real concrete lower bound but the upper bound is nebulously theoretical.

2 Likes