Bernie Sanders was not amused by Sacha Baron Cohen's disguised character

If the scale is “global” and the only metric is “income/year” anyone earning $35,000 or more is in the 1%-bracket. Yay.

(Yes, this is statistical cherry-picking. It is also a good example of “factually true, yet meaningless without proper context”. Nevertheless, it quite nicely illustrates global distribution of wealth.)

4 Likes

Yeah, that was an abysmal southern ‘redneck’ drawl…

This doesn’t look funny to me at all; but then again, I’ve never found Cohen’s humor to my taste.

5 Likes

I guess I don’t get this one.

SBC character: says something dumb

Bernie: Sir, that doesn’t make sense.

Gotcha!

5 Likes

Apparently in contrast, SBC got idiotic Republicans to agree with him on the idiotic things he said, just out of sheer habit. Bernie seemed to figure out he was being trolled as it was happening, but his counterparts on the right never did, until well after the fact.

4 Likes

This is hilarious. I don’t think it’s certain that Bernie knew he was being trolled, at least for the segments shown. It’s an illustrative contrast from the Republicans: troll a Republican and you’re likely to get something deeply embarrassing or horrifying. Troll an honest leftist and they just get annoyed with you but try to patiently explain your error.

10 Likes

So. Bernie smells a rat as the truly olds would say. Conservatives are incapable of smelling blatant bullshit. How come? What’s the significance?

3 Likes

We see his interviews that are selected for content. He doesn’t publish videos where conservatives are actually smart (there are some in existence, but not many) or where the interview is boring. Only the ones that are outrageous or funny.
Why there are so many unsmart conservatives? Conservative means sticking with the old ideals. Sticking with the old ideals to the extreme can be done only if the ability for critical thinking is stunted by childhood conditioning, lack of intelligence, expectation of quid pro quo (money), and a bunch of other factors.

3 Likes

Came her to post exactly this.
If you haven’t seen it already check out the Ali G interview of Tony Benn. The old boy aced it.

3 Likes

There are always more fish in the barrel.

I’ve laughed at his stuff, but I recognize that his schtick is to take advantage of our better social instincts, so I try not to read too much into anyone’s failures with him.

2 Likes

Indeed, it seems to me the constant lesson from his schtick is that our better social instincts should be repressed.

He elaborates upon this in a Rollling Stone interview:
I think it’s an interesting idea that not everyone in Germany had to be a raving anti-Semite. They just had to be apathetic.

4 Likes

I really feel like no one on the show was tricked in to saying anything they didn’t believe and if they did, they need to stay out of the deep end of the pool where the grown folk swim.

1 Like

Your basis is what? And where are all the smart conservatives who smelled that something was up?

1 Like

If you watch the show, he did. It wasn’t very funny though.

Ugh, I did watch the show. He did a conservative character interviewing Bernie Sanders. A liberal character interviewing Sanders might be interesting.

But he also posed as a liberal to interview some liberal people. So I guess you weren’t watching too closely.

ob·tuse
əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/
adjective

1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand. “he wondered if bloodybl was being deliberately obtuse”

Your words. I pointed out he already did. Quoting the dictionary won’t change that.

1 Like

You can only go up from there!