Sacha Baron Cohen trolls conservative rally with racist sing-along

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/sacha-baron-cohen-trolls-conse.html

4 Likes

So he gave them a bunch of money to troll them?

At this point you don’t need to encourage them to say racist shit, they’ll do it anyway.

10 Likes

you didnt clap and sing along because you were duped. You did it because you wanted to.

11 Likes

Yeah, unless there’s a couple dozen untranscribed n-words in there, that’s not really any different than the stuff they’ll all cheerfully go on the record saying/waving signs about. It’s not like this was the local GOP town hall, it was a right-wing fringe militia rally… we KNOW they’re racist.

This kind of stunt may have been a shocking reveal during the Obama era, now it’s par for the empowered racist demographic course.

2 Likes

I’m not usually a fan of his movies, his characters, any of it. Is it weird that I like the person way more than anyone he’s ever portrayed?
Balls
Of.
Steel.

6 Likes

I mean, very few of his characters are the types most people would likely want to spend much time with. Ali G perhaps being a notable exception – I’d definitely chill with Ali G.

But as far as his art/tradecraft? He’s insanely good. And from what I can tell he’s very intelligent, and is “coming from the right place” with what he does, even if some of it can fall a little flat. But some of the politicians and such that he’s totally bamboozled, and often embarrassed in the process? Simply by, essentially, being a bit of an exaggerated funhouse mirror of their own idiocy? Brilliant!

6 Likes

He hired security (for himself) and paid to have a stage put up. I really doubt any money passed to them, he’s aware enough to know that would be counterproductive.

6 Likes

Honestly don’t quite see the point.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.