Best garlic crusher

I just don’t want to buy another single use tool that will get lost in the drawer. The knife is always handy.

Good point. A regular garlic press can be reversed to use the fitted hole cleaning press. This thing, it sounds like, doesn’t come with a simple molded hole cleaner.

1 Like

Side of my knife is my garlic crusher. I was given another one, but use it for, um, “spices”.

2 Likes

I hear that this pairs well with a Twisty Glass Blunt™

4 Likes

I crush garlic with the flat of a knife all the time, but it results in a flattened, crushed whole clove — great for making a paste or a rub. But that’s a lot different than the play-doh-factory mini-cubes you get from a garlic press and I’d use it for different things.

1 Like

I have an extremely Italian family and I have never liked garlic presses either for the same reasons.

I hand sharpen my kitchen knives on a Jewelers GRS power diamond hone, so I know how to do it with a knife just fine but sometimes I just want crushed garlic without having to clean my knife.

I like how there are no moving parts and it’s just completely and utterly simple. I think I may get one of these now looks like it works well

It’s new, it’s improved, it’s old-fashioned
Well it takes care of business, never needs winding,
Never needs winding, never needs winding
Gets rid of blackheads, the heartbreak of psoriasis,
Christ, you don’t know the meaning of heartbreak, buddy,
C’mon, c’mon, c’mon, c’mon
Cause it’s effective, it’s defective, it creates household odors,
It disinfects, it sanitizes for your protection
It gives you an erection, it wins the election…

Step Right Up

4 Likes

I do love a good kitchen gadget. Kind of addicted to them.

Maybe a razor is best for garlic, who knows:

If you want to fry the garlic, slice it or it will burn. For any other uses, a press is fine.

Why the HELL would you not want garlic on everything? Are you some sort of vampire lover?? Joke aside, garlic is tricky. I have as yet to do the ‘Goodfelllows’ thing with garlic.

2 Likes

I got this very mauve-ish incarnation and was super disappointed. I wish they had included something for scale in the photos - the wholes are huge and so are the garlic chunks you get.

I went back to the freaking Tupperware garlic press I had abandoned because I had been so hard to clean. I learned that you just have to clean it right away, before garlic residue dries up – you can peel off the flattened garlic layer and it floops right out of the holes. Rinse with warm water and done.

Oh and I make a deep fried garlic salsa that absolutely needs knife action, no presses, no food processors which mess up the, uh, searing process, for lack of a better term.

Want!

Who makes that?

Yes, yes, I know Alton Brown has dictated that single-use devices should be banned from one’s kitchen. My solution to that is to ban Alton Brown from my kitchen.

I have an IKEA press like this. After 15 years or so it hasn’t broken.

• The leverage is excellent
  • Cleanup is much faster than scrubbing the cutting board,
  • I can crush the garlic right into the pot rather than scraping it off the board
  • The outer membrane stays in the press rather than having to be picked out of the crushed pile

For a dollar less, this complicated little device, also IKEA, looks interesting.

4 Likes

Have had this thing for about a year and a half now; it looks very beat up…
Always clean it right after use by hand with water and a little soap but already after a relatively short period of time it looked terrible; the hex pattern has several bit of the metal broken or corroded off exposing a much darker metal. Suspect the particular metal used is at the time is not up to snuff.

It works well enough though - with the added advantage of not using a chef’s knife to crush garlic with kids running around distracting you ending up with nasty cuts, or having a traditional plier type crushes that are much more annoying to clean up after use

I had both of these at some point - their metals corroded even worse than the Joseph Joseph one… Worked well enough though and yeah no cuttingboard cleanup needed…

1 Like

That’s odd. Mine shows no corrosion at all. All the parts appear to be stainless steel or possibly aluminum castings — no plated metal.

I don’t have a dishwasher though. I know the detergents they use can be very harsh.

It’s nice that everyone is in complete agreement that the garlic must not be allowed to remain whole.

3 Likes

Every time I see (or remember) this scene from Goodfellas, I wonder the same thing, so I finally investigated it. Pretty much every food site that’s tried sauteeing razor-thin garlic has had the same result: it doesn’t “liquify”, it just burns quickly, because it’s so thin. Diced or sliced normally is better.

1 Like

Shun.
All my knives are Shun.
Well, I have a Globe pairing knife, it’s fine, and a Forschner scimitar for whacking blackberries and scaring (erstwhile) staff and a German bread knife, it’s fine, it doesn’t matter.

Save for the Pro line though, the Damascus. They’re worth it.

1 Like