Best Movies for Getting Over a Breakup

Don’t the couples get back together in those?

I’ve been happily married for decades, but before that I found Into The Night useful.

1 Like

The answer is always Princess Bride.

Altho honestly I’d recommend movies that have zero zilch zip to do with love and are escapist fantasy/sci-fi type stuff, or creepshow sorts of movies:

• Close Encounters
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Evil Dead 2
  • Cheesy 80s fantasy: Highlander, Willow, etc

Or go the opposite route and watch some documentaries. Anything by Errol Morris is fascinating. It’s like going to the library: I’m smarter now! I don’t need that relationship!

2 Likes

If you’re accepting suggestions for music as well, find some Smoking Popes.

Crooning vocals over pop-punk instrumentation; sample lyric: “Let’s hear it for letting someone totally ruin your life / Let’s hear it for love”

I liked to start out wallowing, so something like the Unbearable Lightness of Being, 1984, followed by increasingly goofy shit – a Hal Hartley short called Surviving Desire, Brasil, Airplane, etc.

1 Like

Watching ‘Gone Girl’ totally eliminated the concept of relationship angst for at least a couple of weeks for me!

Lots of these are great though, and agreed on Simon Pegg, totally on my ‘if I was gay’ list!

Some fun suggestions here though! Good luck on the next adventure!

4 Likes

How about Audition, then?

4 Likes

The Story of Us!

Its so disgusting you’ll be thankful you’re single!

They get back together in “High Fidelity” but it’s the way he analyzes each break up, that perspective always helps me.
“Man Up” is a rom com for sure, but it’s about an accidental date that the woman didn’t even want to go on. I don’t know. It was just really funny.

The first few seasons of Hawaii Five-O (the original series). You start wondering about the outrageous plots that you forget your troubles. (Did Hawaii really have that many criminals during the late 60’s/early 70’?)

Then you want to visit and voilà! Your broken heart begins its mending.

Thanks, Steve McGarrett.

eta: sorry it’s not a movie

1 Like

Enough time has passed, I figured this would be appropriate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 330 days. New replies are no longer allowed.