Best poodle trim ever - the "skeleton"

Originally published at: Best poodle trim ever – the "skeleton" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The dog has white fur… and this is incredibly unnecessary, borderline cruelty.

9 Likes

Does that make it a skeldoodle? Skeledoodle?

2 Likes

take this dog away from the owner. JHC

5 Likes

Skedoodle.

5 Likes

While slightly disturbing to look at, poodles are a breed which should be shaved for the summer if it is hot and humid - they’re a breed which has, successfully, been used in full fur to run dog sleds in the Iditarod. I had a neighbor growing up whose poodle (full size, not the purse-dog breed) went from being a stinking puddle of doggie misery to her usual bounding self every June when she got her haircut – an all-off affair, not this, but similar in effect.

2 Likes

Not to be confused with the Skadoodle that is also black and white, but plays a trombone.

7 Likes

The dye depending on what’s used can be toxic to the dog when they lick/groom themselves, and there have been instances of a dog being allergic, getting a chemical burn from it and even dying.

Even if it was wholly safe it’s not something i think people should be subjecting animals to. In my eyes it’s animal cruelty

6 Likes

i don’t think people have a problem with the cutting of the hair, which is quite normal. it’s subjecting the dog to dye that i find offensive.

9 Likes

This is just offensive in every way. As the owner/employee of a small dog who needs regular haircuts I agree with the need for cooling.
But dogs are nature’s No.1 love-givers. And they want to be loved in return, not turned into some Neil Gaiman nightmare.

(I love Neil Gaiman)

4 Likes

This is no more disturbing to me than any competitive dog show grooming. As long at the dye isn’t unhealthy I doubt that the dog cares if it’s trimmed to look like this vs. any of the other ridiculous styles that people more commonly trim their poodles. And yes, dogs love to receive love and attention. But what makes you think this style won’t give the dog attention from delighted onlookers?

The real cruelty is intentionally breeding dogs to have specific debilitating physical traits that serve no purpose other than our amusement. (Such as comically flat faces that cause breathing problems, or weird height/length proportions that cause back or joint problems.)

3 Likes

Yes, I completely agree with you on that one, especially regards the poor little flat-nose sufferers.
Dogs don’t give a monkey’s what they look like, so long as they are loved.
I am guilty of anthropomorphising our canine companions, which I understand they hate.

1 Like

That’s why poodle cuts bother me a lot less than surgical procedures like docking ears and tails.

I know some people claim certain breeds need to have ears or tails cut off for health or hygiene or whatever but if a breed is so messed up that they can’t thrive with all the body parts they were born with then stop making more of that breed.

7 Likes

A true story for you (as brief as I can).
Niece acquired a lovely pup, poodle-cross-something. As she was leaving the house, the dog leaps out the door for walkies, then for some reason leaps back in, then suddenly out again, when the front door caught the poor thing on the tip of it’s tail. Dog lost about quarter-inch of tail. Apparently, there’s not a lot of nerve-endings back there, and the pooch didn’t seem that bothered.
When Niece saw this, however, she took pooch to the vet, who insisted on docking the tail completely at a cost of 900 quid.
Why, FFS, put the dog through more trauma? It was not remotely bothered about the loss of the tip of his tail.
Niece, of course, was mortified. Vet, of course, was making bank.
It’s infuriating.

ETA @Brainspore . Cutting bits off dogs, bits they are born with, I agree with you completely. Totally unnecessary.

6 Likes

Don’t you mean Tim Burton (Nightmare Before Christmas)?

(I love some Tim Burton.)

2 Likes

Oh, good point.
I think the new series of Sandman is still fresh in my mind, hence the reference.
We do love a bit of Burton.

1 Like

As long as you’re bringing up the stuff that nightmares are made of, check out the Whippet they almost used when filming Alien 3:

4 Likes

Oh, good grief. And seeing it run there at the end of the video.
Yuk.
Probably my favourite film of the trilogy, though.
It’s not a trilogy anymore, I know.

That one exceeds my limit on a practical effect.

Someone jumped the gun (and the shark) for a Halloween gag.