Best ways to reply to an insult, according to a neuroscientist

Gen X Fx GIF by Better Things

:laughing:

22 Likes

Once they discovered it really triggered Xers they totally leaned into it.

I mean, of course they did!

I was thinking of putting something in the playing music thread about the insults that modern shredder guitarists use to describe the playing of older blues rock based guitarists “boomer bends”.

I will but I’ll have to provide video evidence. Plus my spicy hot take*.

(* it’s all good. You do you and dig what you dig. And a paragraph on string technique through history)

4 Likes

Yeah, and your mother! :smiley:

2 Likes

… as the actor said to the bishop.

(Typically it was the actress said to the bishop but I always disliked job titles being gendered)

5 Likes

“Mind if I fart?”

16 Likes

yes! Steve Martin! that was the response i thought of, immediately.

8 Likes

“I am a neuroscientist, let me just insert some electrodes into your brain to help me understand why you just said that”

2 Likes

Et ta soeur!

An oldie I nicked from Iggy Pop, “I’ve been called worse by better than you!” is also good. So are variations thereof:
“I’ve been called better by worse than you!” usually confuses fuck out of 'em.

I was once forced into a long insult-trading exchange with another young woman who was immediately way in over her head. Took her some time to realize it; she kept thinking she’d best me, but I was really on form that night, and proved too many for her. Her feeble insults made me laugh, and I gave far better than I got. We were outside a club I frequently frequented, and there was even a crowd of fellow punkly witnesses.

It was completely unprovoked - I didn’t know her ass from Eve, and had been minding my own business, chatting with friends. She finally left, looking suitably defeated and embarrassed, esp since she’d started the whole thing.

A guy who turned out to be the worst sort of fake friend warned me when I initially rose to her bait, but he obviously had overestimated her, and V much underestimated my mental gymnastics ability.

Never saw her again. :rofl:

22 Likes
13 Likes

… and later wrote down what you had said. Superior arrows for her poor quiver.

2 Likes

I doubt she remembered any of it by the time she reached her vehicle.

The only thing I remember is her insulting my (cool AF gothy) appearance, and she looked so boring. She looked more like a realtor (ETA: or a stockbroker) than someone at a hip punk club. WTF?

I said, “Gee, I wish I had long hair and lived in the suburbs,” and she LOL’d and fired back with the absolutely brilliant, “I bet you do!”

I laughed louder and replied, “Right! That’s why I live in the city and have short hair!”

Fish in a barrel, I tells ya. /shrugs

11 Likes

Maybe she was a realtor, an occupation where the most interesting thing a realtor could say is. “Just look at these parquet floors!”

5 Likes

What’s the best way to insult a neuroscientist?

9 Likes

it’s not what you think…

16 Likes

I’m a Gen Xer, too. My social circle goes Gen Z to Boomer. It’s great for getting a wide range of viewpoints on topics or events.

I get “Ok Boomer” from the twentysomethings trying to get under my skin after, for example, when I am quicker than they are to answer questions about tech or video games that my first-grader also plays.

I remind them my parents are boomers and leave it there. It works because no one is really trying to be a dick; it’s just playful banter among friends.

5 Likes

Bursting into laughter at their comment and walking away is particularly devastating to the person hurling the insult. They are typically terrified of not being seen as smart and witty.

6 Likes

You’ve got a lot of nerve!
Just kidding.

6 Likes

Call them a rocket surgeon?

13 Likes

Laughing at evil is also effective. It throws them off balance on all levels.

6 Likes