Beto O'Rourke just hired a "senior advisor" who used to lobby for Keystone XL, Seaworld and private prisons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/11/psychedelic-warlord-for-hire.html

5 Likes

Make the Environment Beto Again

5 Likes

I have not seen anyone who will prioritize stopping the endless, pointless wars. Personally, I believe that wars should be difficult to start and easy to end. All of congress should be required to vote frequently to continue military action. All votes should require a position paper indicating the exact reason that we are putting our soldiers at risk. Cutting our military budget to about a third of what it is would do more to end deficit spending than any of the idiotic punish the poor and the old programs that we have in place now.

15 Likes

… the agent sits back in his chair, slightly stunned and asks “So, what do you call this little act of yours, anyway?”
“We’re the Radical Centrists!”

23 Likes

Tulsi is probably the closest to what youre looking for, with Bernie next and Warren hopefully not too far off.

2 Likes

My idea has always been that any vote for war should automatically include three provisions – a tax increase to fund the war, a draft and if a congress critter voted for the war then their children of eligible age are automatically drafted.

21 Likes

I can’t remember a candidate falling as fast as Robert “Beto” O’Rourke.

With his billionaire inlaws, culturally appropriated nickname and DWI accident history, he should consider switching parties.

2 Likes

I have not seen anyone who will prioritize stopping the endless, pointless wars. Personally, I believe that wars should be difficult to start and easy to end. All of congress should be required to vote frequently to continue military action.

GoT%20THIS

9 Likes

Tulsi Gabbard does not deserve to hold any public office because of her rabidly practiced history of advocating for institutionally anti-LGBT policies.

18 Likes

Welp, I guess Beto is still off my list of possibles. Still, he would have been better replacing Cruz.

8 Likes

Imagine if that 2/3 of the military budget would be spent on developing renewable energy sources and energy storage technologies. Not only that would allow US to move away from fossil fuels and help mitigate climate change, but also make them global leader in renewables. The economy of scale would make renewable energy sources way cheaper than fossil fuels while also providing enormous amount of new jobs.

12 Likes

Is he better or worse than Biden at this point? (Remembers Biden giving speech to cable lobby post announcement of Presidential run). Biden is pretty much the death of the hope we will ever have a fiber optic network in the US.

7 Likes

I can’t help but feel O’Rourke is just another empty suit with a nice smile.

But as facts like who he hires, who he affiliates with the picture becomes clearer: Beto is in it for Beto (and whomever will help him get there).

Nice little article from the Politico to add context: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/10/beto-orourke-2020-president-campaign-profile-failing-up-226866

6 Likes

I suspect Biden is equally compromised by lobbyists and other corporate interests.

That said, I could see a couple viable options mixing experience with platform for 2020:

Sanders/Harris
Biden/Warren
Warren/Booker

Are these combos electable?

1 Like

Have you even tried ?

1 Like

I thought he was making a mistake jumping straight to a presidential run. He should have gone for Cornyn’s seat (the other Texas senator - MJ “Doors” Hegar is running against him). Or maybe Governor or Lt Governor. Build a political resume. THEN run.

But this? Seems like he’s just another neoliberal corporate shill after all.

7 Likes

Bitching about a culturally appropriated nickname given to someone as a child in El Paso is pretty stupid.

8 Likes

He’s reasonably progressive by the standards of Texas politicians (like the Republican incumbent Senator he almost unseated) but that shouldn’t be taken as evidence that he’s progressive enough to run the country.

8 Likes

Cultural appropriation only happens when it’s not in a multicultural environment?

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion here but, I know the like “first president” progressives would like to see a woman on the ticket but, here’s the truth. America is a VERY sexist and anti-intellectual country. Let’s just try to unseat Trump ya know? and if we have a chance to NOT have Biden as our nominee, hey… that’s great too. I like Warren and I donated to her campaign and I have a Warren T-Shirt, and with that said I don’t see a path to her being a nominee, nonetheless the president.