Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education Secretary thanks to 'historic tiebreaking vote' from VP Mike Pence

“DeVos. Keeping 'Murica Stupid For Future Republicans”

7 Likes
28 Likes

10 Likes

ain’t 'murica great?

4 Likes

A lot of the LGBT conversion therapy “boot camps” got their start as descendants of the Synanon cult.

From there, one of the worst was “The Straights” or Straight, Inc.(!) They managed to kill a number of kids and mess up a lot of others. (I’m appalled and I’m a Scientology-watcher.)

Recently I figured out that they hadn’t really gone away, just franchised the boot camps and changed their names to Drug Free America Foundation, Inc. where they lobby politicians about drug laws, and fund them from Sembler Co.

With the change in climate, I’m sure a lot of those types will come out of hiding.

5 Likes

I’m having a good giggle imagining it’s my 10 and 7 yo kids doing the punching.

3 Likes

I didn’t see but the briefest of clips of her hearings. She seems… ignorant.
Can anyone tell me if that is their impression as well.

1 Like

No. Now we move on, fight the next battle.

2 Likes

“W” was ignorant. She is willfully uninformed, devoid of compassion, and full of Jesus – and wants all of that forced upon you.

18 Likes

Yeah, I know.

2 Likes

Not to disagree with you that to do so is all kinds of fucked up, but there definitely are people that do make fun of those conditions.
People kinda suck (and are at the same time are kinda magically wonderful).

5 Likes

Yeah, fuck that. We’re in a golden age for righteous profanity.

15 Likes

OH I just remember this from my research into Common Core. The consolation in this is that education at the K-12 level is run mostly by the states. The feds only fund ~10% of a states budget in grants. It doesn’t have a hand in curriculum. It doesn’t have a lot of direct control, really, each State is in charge of its Education.

Though the DOE does do a lot more on the college level like Pell Grants, as well as over sight for schools for civil right issues and where federal funds are spent, tracking and consolidating performance data, and other legal oversights. At least it doesn’t have the power to put say text books with people riding dinosaurs in schools. Nor can they just make up new laws regarding education, it would have to go through congress.

5 Likes

And, as with much of the Christian Right, the theocracy is cover for recreating Jim Crow.

Charter schools are segregated schools.

19 Likes

At least you’re in Alaska. That’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

Hey Jill – every single Democrat voted against her.

I’m sure you’re far too busy to check the voting record. You ignorant hag.

14 Likes

Yeah. Watch the birth rate go down, post-Trump election.

3 Likes

The president of Planned Parenthood said appointment requests for IUDs went up by 900% post-election.

26 Likes

F. . . . .

Words fail me.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Trumpers are trying to reproduce apparently.

3 Likes