Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education Secretary thanks to 'historic tiebreaking vote' from VP Mike Pence

I know in my household that would be the case if the factory wasn’t shutdown already.

1 Like

Actually, gerrymandering has no effect on senatorial (or presidential) elections. But they’re mostly safe anyway, shitkickers like their crazy regressive senators. Maybe Heller could be put in play as NV has gone blue the last few elections, and AZ is getting purpler.

3 Likes

Sen. Jeff Flake could be in for rough re-election ride

7 Likes

Thanks for new night terror material

2 Likes

As a straight white male who cares about the future: This is still gonna suck.

9 Likes

These, so called, christians are pure evil. Jesus said to help the poor, treat others like you would like them to treat you and not to give a damn about money, let alone love it.
She ain’t full of Jesus, she’s full of shit.

EDIT: I added a comma.

16 Likes

I really think Dan Sullivan needs more of our attention.

With this vote, he will be getting it.

Hang in there!

(I really should make those martensite snowflakes I keep promising.)

1 Like

*cough*

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/donald-trump-small-hands-marco-rubio/

6 Likes

The next great threat will not come in a black cloak shouting how evil they are. They will come draped in the american flag using the language of freedom and greatness.

I wish I new who said that because that has described perfectly how I feel about trump and his cronies.

A republican ‘appease the loud bible beater’ congress.

God in Heaven help us…

Yeah, well thanks to limits already in place (ironically partly due to Republicans in the 80s), the feds have no power over curriculum or anything like that. So there won’t be any text books with people riding dinosaurs.

1 Like

Oh, I am.

9 Likes

It’s Texas, not the Feds, that determines the textbooks for most public schools in the U.S.

You would be appalled to see what is already being said in them, as a result. And what isn’t being said, as well.

16 Likes

8 Likes

Yes, the states are have the power of curriculum construction. Is Texas more influential than others? In researching home schooling many years ago, I know there are some very wrong “science” books on the market.

1 Like

Texas is where a large portion of the nation’s textbooks come from, unfortunately.

13 Likes

Big market, isn’t it? Lots of influence.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2012/06/21/how-texas-inflicts-bad-textbooks-on-us/

15 Likes

Yeah, but wouldn’t also CA be as big of one?

1 Like

No. Texas buys all of the textbooks for the entire state in one lump order. No other state does that. So, their preferences are sold to everyone else, because publishers aren’t willing to spend the money to print many different versions of textbooks.

14 Likes

So basically the Ti model of market capture?

4 Likes