Beware on January 20, 2025, says Bill Maher

And keep an eye on attempts to steal some key mid-terms, practice runs for 2024.

7 Likes

I cannot amplify this enough. Whenever I get overwhelmed with fatalism at the state of our nation, I can rally by reminding myself that, no, I definitely DO NOT want to live under a fascist dictatorship. But if/when I DO live under a fascist dictatorship, I want to know that I did everything I could to prevent it.
Anything less is unacceptable.

10 Likes

They are white supremacist, over throw the government bad… They are kill hundreds of thousands of Americans on purpose…

It’s NOT a delusion! A delusion is somethign that is not accurate or real. These things are real. Stop downplaying it.

Stop being fucking dismissive of the threat to people who aren’t straight white men.

8 Likes

That was an infuriating hour of television. Yeah, Maher occasionally says something insightful. So what?

In the same interview he went off on an ignorant and pedantic “transphobia isn’t a real thing” diatribe, made actual transphobic remarks (which I guess weren’t transphobic since according to him that isn’t a thing), whined about “cancel culture”, white shame, “wokeness”, CRT, and then threw in some fat shaming/poverty shaming for good measure.

He can take his “enlightened centrist” ass and go fuck off to Fox News with all that.

8 Likes

As an aside I’m sick to death of everybody in the media going on about how D’s will lose the House and/or Senate in 2022 as if it were pre-ordained. It’s not, so fuck off with that nonsense.

11 Likes

The delusion is not about how bad the GOP is, but that they personally (due to money, skin privilege, collaboration, etc.) will be spared the worst outcomes of whatever horrible path the GOP is currently leading the country down.

Again, a planned vacation during what is expected to be a turbulent month is not a serious escape plan. If these corporate media executives and personalities were really planning the latter they wouldn’t still be enabling the fascists (or, in Bari Weiss’s case, actively building gateways to fascism).

In contrast, people who take the threat of right-wing sado-populism seriously, who know they’re likely to be targeted by these regimes or who don’t want to be kapos or bystanders to them, are already doing long-term projects like trying to get themselves grandfathered into EU citizenship. They’re trying to establish residency or transit rights as insurance despite not having the resources of media-industrial complex execs.

4 Likes

To the extent that Bill Maher is saying ANYTHING remotely worth taking seriously, there are thousands of people saying it just as well who aren’t Bill Maher.

Maher and Joe Rogan and Elon Musk and that one dude who makes those political cartoons and Naomi Wolf and everyone hoping for a second chance at Austin U. and Lauren Boebert and Paul Gosar and Scott Adams and Matt Gaetz and Krysten Sinema and yes, the Trumps themselves, every last Trumpy one of them—they’re all playing the same game. I could elaborate, but I don’t need to. You know exactly what I’m talking about.

Get your news and punditry from people who will take your attention but don’t need it. And stop treating anyone who does like a serious thought leader whose wisdom we need to carefully mull over.

3 Likes

With luck that fatuous sack of privilege and bluster will be long gone by then - Even the Daily Hate have turned on him.

2 Likes

Those planning to ride out 2024 in London had better hope they land in the
right universe/time line~

2 Likes

That’s Wales dude but, yeah…

Northumberland. Viking territory…

Danelaw was south of Durham, the rump of Northumbria (mostly Bernicia) remained, frequently raided by Danes.

What is the quibble? Scandinavians then.

To be clear, I wasn’t saying Durham was a part of Northumberland. I’ve lived in all of those counties I have mentioned. Was there confusion?

The northern part of the old kingdom of Northumbria remained Angle, the southern (York) part was Danish/Viking.

Ok but you’re a bit wrong there, with respect. It was never as clear cut as that as far as I understand and we’re talking centuries not a given decade.

Obviously, this is necessarily generalisation, but is fundamentally accurate.

Provide DJT with his steady supply of cheeseburgers and there will be no problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.