Speaker Johnson defies far-right Republicans while Marjorie Taylor Green threatens to vacate seat (video)

Originally published at: Speaker Johnson defies far-right Republicans while Marjorie Taylor Green threatens to vacate seat (video) - Boing Boing Speaker Johnson defies Marjorie Taylor Green, who threatens to vacate her seat

4 Likes

United States Comedy GIF by CBS

24 Likes

“Every day that Mike Johnson gets closer to this deal brings me closer and closer to vacating the seat chair, because I’ve absolutely had it!”

Do it, Margarine. Show them what you’re made of! 99% of the country would agree nothing of value was lost if you do. It’s rare so many of us agree on anything, but well, there you go.

24 Likes

I was under the impression that Congress gets things done by compromise. Have we switched to legislation by temper tantrum?

25 Likes

It is sad to see our Congress infested with truly embarrassing individuals like Green. I was just reading today that 43% of Americans now consider themselves independent. With any luck, both established political parties will see reason and clamp down on the charlatans that seem to appear with greater frequency in the last ten years.

I will hold my breath.

2 Likes

Both? Most of the D examples I can think of have left the party. Most of the R examples are in control.

13 Likes

There is only one choice for speaker. Hakeem Jeffries.

14 Likes

What I want to know is why there is no real mechanism to fire such “representatives” when they basically refuse to do the actual job they were ‘hired’ for.

(Not sanctions, not removal from committees, but actual severance.)

Any other industry would have some sort of actual recourse for such piss poor job performance, outside of “just elect someone better next time.”

14 Likes

Getting things done? In Congress??

9 Likes

To be honest I do not see much difference between the two parties. They have conspired to rig the system against a true third party challenge. Just my two cents.

However, to answer your question, I will simply show you the GovTrack.us website. This site shows the misconduct of our elected officials in congress and both sides are well represented.

There’s a pretty big gap between “both sides have misconduct” and “both sides are charlatans”

ETA: And it would help if the third parties weren’t self sabotaging. I don’t consider myself a Democrat, just “Not Republican”. In practice, that’s Democrat because the third parties haven’t put anyone viable even in our local elections.

23 Likes

Look harder.

One party is now actively promoting fascism as policy, while the other is desperately trying to preserve an obviously broken status quo.

Neither party is “good,” but one is deliberately trying to drag us back to feudal times.

30 Likes

Get Out No GIF

5 Likes

The parties didn’t rig the system-- the system is the result of the way we elect people. We ought to be working for other systems of elections, such as ranked choice.

17 Likes

Nope.

Republicans have consistently been on the side of systematic obstruction and abuse. There is zero desire to govern from them. Just a desire to attack people and enrich a donor base.

Democrats and their platform are about using government to serve the governed. They have an actual agenda besides harm people, break stuff and steal everything not nailed down.

People who say “both parties are bad” inevitably serve the purpose of fascist republicans. They deliberately downplay the criminal, treasonous, unprofessional behavior of the right wing and hysterically exaggerate foibles of the left.

28 Likes

I think you’re overestimating the value of that opinion.

“Both parties use the existing tools of our political system to further their own electoral interests” does not imply “pragmatic centrists are no better than literal fascists.”

18 Likes

Terrible misconduct by Dems here

Of course, there are real stinkers like Sen. Menendez. But counting noses in this list is not an ideal metric.

20 Likes

all-of-this-pointing

Only one fucking party caged babies. Only one party is doing its ahem damnedest to ban abortion and contraceptives. ahem Members of only one party are engaged in vote suppression. ahem Members of only one party whine that they can’t just shoot migrants at the border.

Gimme a break.

19 Likes

Both-siderism is a disingenuous rhetorical device used to distract attention and waste time.

21 Likes

Oooh that is world class!
“Rep ___ arrested at a protest…paid a $50 fine”

11 Likes