Crazed Marjorie Taylor Greene shouts at Capitol steps — "absolutely calling" to oust Speaker Johnson (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/01/crazed-marjorie-taylor-greene-shouts-at-capitol-steps-absolutely-calling-to-oust-speaker-johnson-video.html

9 Likes

femme_fatale-maddening-cacophony-znr-15997760780

8 Likes

15 Likes

I wish she’d just save everyone’s time and join the United Russia party.

11 Likes

Uhh, isn’t that the GOP?

14 Likes

Forgive me for my foreign lack of understanding, but didn’t the Dems agree with with ousting McCarthy last time? So why wouldn’t they agree with ousting Johnson this time?

IIRC, they offered support in return for Ukraine funding. It’s not the same situation.

11 Likes

the media won’t bring down the far-right caucus, the voters in heavily gerrymandered districts likely won’t either, but they just might be brought down by their own moronic machinations.

that is, attempt to oust slime-ball Johnson, Johnson is ‘saved’ by the House Democrats, then they (hopefully) gain considerable leverage over him.

6 Likes

Maybe personally, but not publicly as a political bloc. Their position was that it was up to the Repubs to deal with their own mess and they (the Dems) were staying out of it.
IIRC, that seems to be a pretty consistent stance in such situations.

7 Likes

In the October 2023 vote, 209 democrats voted for Jeffries. That way, if enough of the Repubs split on infighting, Jefferies would have become speaker. There were 220 votes for the slimebag Johnson.

I think the margins are closer these days (217 to 213 after the NY election???).

5 Likes

Why announce it in advance thru a bullhorn? Why not just do it - flip the switch, pull the lever, light the match?

Oh yeah…

3 Likes

McCarthy tried to keep his job by giving the far-right freaks like MTG everything they wanted and refusing to compromise with Democrats. Johnson has been working with Democrats to pass legislation and will have to continue doing so if he wants to stay in power. Given that the Democrats can’t install a speaker of their own this is the next best option. Plus it keeps the Republicans divided.

It’s not enough for the Republicans to remain divided if none of them were willing to cross party lines to support Jeffries (or sit out the vote). A speaker requires a majority vote. Plus, under current rules the Republican majority could just immediately kick out Jeffries like they kicked out McCarthy.

10 Likes

Mike Johnson is a horrible person but even he recognizes that to get anything done you need to compromise and work with the other side. This Congress is one of the least productive ever having passed almost no legislation. Maybe that’s a point of pride for some of the “burn it all to the ground” wing of Republicans, but it’s not how Congress is supposed to work.

13 Likes

Why does it seem weird that if the majority of Republicans AND the majority of Democrats want to pass a bill, the bill gets passed. Shouldn’t that be the norm?

7 Likes

No… I think the speaker needs a majority vote. Jeffries did get more votes than the top Republican on several votes, but not a majority of the members.

4 Likes

Okay this makes some sense then. They weren’t getting anything out of McCarthy, so had nothing to lose by voting for his ouster. They have got something from Johnson, so they would rather hold their nose and vote against MTG’s motion than risk ending up with another speaker with whom cooperation was impossible.

10 Likes

Of course, this is performative. She knows she doesn’t actually have the votes to back such an effort, and if she actually pulls the trigger and it fails she’s got no follow-up act.

So she’s hoping to get enough support for such an effort to actually win, and in the meantime milking this for all the clickbait she can get.

6 Likes

I think they may not even need to directly vote against it. I think that the rules would allow almost all of Democrats to actively vote for his removal (if they chose to) and just have a few of them abstain from voting at all in order to prevent his removal by a majority vote.

2 Likes

Cover Ears Please Stop GIF by Travis

4 Likes

:musical_note: Marjorie Greene, Marjorie Greene
An obnoxious vent made wholly of spleen
Satan himself would be ashamed if seen
With Marjorie, Marjorie Greene

9 Likes