Marjorie Taylor Greene is booed loudly by Congress, then tries — but fails — to oust Mike Johnson (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/08/marjorie-taylor-greene-is-booed-loudly-by-congress-then-tries-but-fails-to-oust-mike-johnson-video.html

8 Likes

The Virginian Lol GIF by GritTV

27 Likes

Wow - nothing can bring a divided House together except for their shared loathing of MTG. That’s a unique talent!
Tired Over It GIF by GIPHY News

23 Likes

At this point shooting a puppy might actually increase her popularity among her own party.

14 Likes

Why does she keep staying uniparty like it’s a bad thing.

Wasn’t there a time when both sides had very different ideas about various policies and then they talked about it and compromised and accomplished one or two things?

Why is that bad now?

16 Likes

Joe Biden Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

15 Likes

Between the mid-20th Century and the first decade of the 21st Century, crossing party lines in legislative votes went from something that almost everyone did from time to time to something downright shocking. This data visualization of the phenomenon is more than a decade out of date now but it reminded me of nothing so much as a timelapse of cell division:

28 Likes

Second time in seven months that the House gQp has tried to remove a speaker, their own speaker, from the house.

Now that’s quality governing. The best.

15 Likes

louise fletcher you are seeing my dream come true GIF by The Academy Awards

Ok, that was just going to be a random gif, but I stumbled across this one of Louise Fletcher signing to her deaf parents while receiving the Best Actress Oscar and now I’m just destroyed.

10 Likes

As with most things involving politics in the US, everything changed after Reagan was elected.

16 Likes

Sane people don’t think it is… but the modern GOP has had nothing but straight right-wing propaganda shoved down their throats by far right media outlets since the 90s, so they’ve been radicalized into believing the idea that compromise with the “democrat” party is bad, because the democrat party is full of marxist satanic, baby-eating pedophiles who have hate freedom and god.

13 Likes

5 Likes

Since that’s near your neck of the woods, is there any chance she loses in November?

4 Likes

That looks like the birth of your evil twin.

2 Likes

I think the whole linguistic and social strategy of MTG, MAGA, Trump, and generally US fascists and right/alt-right types is like this.

They just focus on a word that isn’t very widely used and load it with scary meaning and then sell it to people as a way to demonize a target. It works extremely well on people, I mean this is how like horror films can make something stupid and inconsequential scary too.

Anyway she says it I think because if it isn’t scary to others yet she wants it to scare them… because she’s a manipulative nasty POS who thinks it will advantage her, that’s my personal take on her motivations. She’s definitely driving a narrative here and she definitely has a fucked up agenda of some kind. Some one like her makes it hard to respect the office she holds and that’s I think the whole point of her tragic career.

7 Likes

Yeah, at least in that context she’s not wrong about “the uniparty.”

2 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think so. Despite the fact that she keeps failing to bring anything home for them, MAGA is pretty strong over in the 14th, in part because lots of people over there feel like they’ve been abandoned by both parties over the years… it’s a very conservative, racist, gerrymandered district. (I should know, I grew up there… The KKK still had strong presence there right up until the 90s, so her kind of Trumpian populism plays well with the white working class. She actually left the north ATL suburbs to move up there. And the Democrats keep refusing to try new tactics, like letting an actual progressive run who can speak to the issues facing lots of people in that district (Black or white). The last guy they rain, Marcus Flowers had a sort of retired military and folksy thing going, but that didn’t work well for him (he’s now running in my district). If they get a homegrown progressive firebrand, they might have a chance, but I don’t know.

This guy seems to be the only one who is doing any decent fund-raising up there:

Stacy Abrams was talking about this for a while now, that the way to win the state is to do a whole state approach, but the state wide Democratic party seems uninterested in trying to make any headway in the rural parts of the state outside the metros or the Black belt.

[ETA] This guy seems sort of interesting…

:thinking:

11 Likes

Please don’t make that suggestion. She’s evil enough to do it

5 Likes

What morbid horror, moral debasement, or moronic self-delusion will the GOP unveil for us tomorrow?

I’m already tired of this game though. If tomorrow I read that DeSantis gassed a kennel I wouldn’t know if it was satire…

9 Likes

But will she listen to her lover. Now she has a real dilema.

He just called Johnson a good man, won’t she have to put trump in the uniparty now.

I absolutely love Marjorie Taylor Greene. She’s got Spirit, she’s got Fight, and I believe she’ll be around, and on our side, for a long time to come. However, right now, Republicans have to be fighting the Radical Left Democrats, and all the Damage they have done to our Country. With a Majority of One, shortly growing to three or four, we’re not in a position of voting on a Motion to Vacate. At some point, we may very well be, but this is not the time. We are leading in the Presidential Polls by a lot, both Nationally and in the Swing States. Likewise, we are doing well in the Senate, and I believe will do well in the House. But if we show DISUNITY, which will be portrayed as CHAOS, it will negatively affect everything! Mike Johnson is a good man who is trying very hard. I also wish certain things were done over the last period of two months, but we will get them done, together. It is my request that Republicans vote for “THE MOTION TO TABLE.” We WILL WIN BIG - AND IT WILL BE SOON!

2 Likes