Bible brigade marches into Louisiana classrooms by forcing Ten Commandments into classrooms

Or God.
And it’s who was Moses, not which.
(MAGA Granmmer allert)

10 Likes

Moses isn’t a he, but an infinitely malleable concept.

4 Likes

About that…

24 Likes

Surely these clowns know this won’t stand. They’re just triggering the libs.

6 Likes

gene wilder thinking GIF

:thinking:

More like non-god religion?

:thinking:

Gonna have to think about this some more…

9 Likes

If I were a teacher in Louisiana, I would cite Matthew 6:5-6 in deciding where to place this poster.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Jesus Himself told me to put it in the closet and shut the door!

13 Likes

And said teacher will most likely end up jobless. :woman_shrugging:

But sure, the folks who are already barely hanging on by a thread and under constant attack for the crime of checks notes wanting to educate children, should totes mcgotes put their jobs on the line to stick it to the man… /s

9 Likes

They picked this version because it is the same wording used in the monument at the Texas state capital (pic below) that SCOTUS said was ok to display in Van Orden v. Perry in 2005. Everything about this bill is written specifically tailored to a planned supreme court case

20 Likes

It smells of Project Blitz (since renamed to “Freedom for All”)

2 Likes

This in the state where a philandering governor/candidate and future convict, in differentiating himself from klansman David Duke, boasted “I’m a wizard under the sheets.”

5 Likes

But of more direct relevance to this is Stone v Graham, decided in 1980. The Supreme Court has already addressed this issue when Kentucky tried to do the same thing.

I can’t say what will happen with this current lawsuit, but here’s what should happen. The District Court should rule against Louisiana, relying on Stone v Graham, which is still good law that lower courts are mandated to follow. If Louisiana appeals, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals should affirm, relying on Stone v Graham, which is still good law that lower courts are mandated to follow. If they then appeal to SCOTUS, SCOTUS should deny cert, because fuck, this is separation of church and state and this is a really easy question, Constitutionally. Will they deny cert? I don’t know. I actually think they will. Alito and Thomas will disagree, and maybe Barrett, but I can’t see Gorsuch, Roberts, or Kavanaugh wanting to revisit this issue.

12 Likes

Assuming it’s not completely disingenuous (which…), these fuckers are so hilariously ignorant. The idea that either civil or religious law started with Moses, and that the “10 Commandments” are somehow the basis for US law is just… words fail me.

They awkwardly reword the text of the KJV, so it’s pretty clearly derived from it.

Also it’s from the Christian, specifically Protestant tradition, so the idea that somehow it’s religiously neutral is laughable from all angles.

That would be (some flavors of) Buddhism. (Star Trek was always about the space-gods, rather than space-Buddhism, really.)

8 Likes

So true…

Ah, since there is obviously no more need for churches in Louisiana, then existing ones can be sold & converted into something useful, like homeless shelters, or job training centers, or soup kitchens, &c, &c.

Forgot all about ‘bearing false witness’, eh?

Fuckers don’t even believe their own bullshit.
It’s all about ruling and not representing the people.

8 Likes

Here’s the important bit from SCOTUS in Stone v Graham:

The pre-eminent purpose for posting the Ten Commandments on schoolroom walls is plainly religious in nature. The Ten Commandments are undeniably a sacred text in the Jewish and Christian faiths, and no legislative recitation of a supposed secular purpose can blind us to that fact. The Commandments do not confine themselves to arguably secular matters, such as honoring one’s parents, killing or murder, adultery, stealing, false witness, and covetousness. See Exodus 20: 12-17; Deuteronomy 5: 16-21. Rather, the first part of the Commandments concerns the religious duties of believers: worshipping the Lord God alone, avoiding idolatry, not using the Lord’s name in vain, and observing the Sabbath Day. See Exodus 20: 1-11; Deuteronomy 5: 6-15.

15 Likes

One of the ones in the KJV, which Jesus wrote, obvs.

3 Likes

Commandments include:
“I am the Lord thy God”
“Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image”
“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain”

That sounds pretty fucking religious me.

What about not coveting thy neighbor’s slaves?

7 Likes

Minor point, but wasn’t this tried someplace else – also with very specific rules about how it should displayed – but didn’t specify any particular language? So, it would comply even if it was in Arabic, or Elvish, or binary.

2 Likes

The Hollywood marketing angle is very funny.

It does state “easy to read” but is that even enforceable given Louisiana’s poor literacy rates? (And easy to read for whom?)

As an aside, I’m now waiting on a Republican push for the original 15 commandments.

6 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes