Bible brigade marches into Louisiana classrooms by forcing Ten Commandments into classrooms

I think that atheists such as myself would be on board, but I’m not sure about some of the evangelical christians.

8 Likes

My wife has this on a t-shirt

16 Likes

I love that!

4 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

(And @Scurra)
I don’t get where there are 12 commandments. In their “no asses here” version, I only count 11 imperative statements.

Is “I am the Lord your God” supposed to count as a ‘commandment’? Nope. It is absolutely not a ‘commandment’. Just the puffed-up, self-obsessed, self-justification of an imaginary prehistoric desert god.

It’s eleven commandments.

10? 11? 12? Louisiana ought to perhaps start with teaching basic arithmetic (and maybe some grammar).

2 Likes

Yahweh is first attested from the Late Bronze Age, a good millennium after the building of the great pyramid and the first dynasty of Ur. :confused:

7 Likes

I plead guilty and ask for a reduced sentence. The metaphorical “prehistoric” should always be avoided, of course. I see the error of my ways now. :wink:

4 Likes

My daughter started riffing on a “Let Jesus take the wheel” bumper sticker she saw. When I responded that there was no way I’d let a Bronze Age carpenter drive my car, she looked at me seriously and said “Dad, he’s an Iron Age carpenter.”

She’s a middle schooler. I was so proud. :smiling_face_with_tear:

16 Likes

Prehistoric is right, in a technical sense, I think.

Technical meaning is "before writing’. Since his polytheistic era is before writing, and there’s evidence that the Old Testament was oral tradition before writing, ‘prehistoric’ fits.

This means there’s pockets of prehistory even now. That extremely isolationist tribe doesn’t have writing.

2 Likes

Obligatory.

[Bad Religion - American Jesus (youtube.com)]

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.