Biden keeps this framed 'Hagar the Horrible' cartoon behind his laptop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/biden-keeps-this-framed-haga.html

13 Likes

Here it is…

Published in 1984, for what it’s worth.

61 Likes

Why me? Not him!

14 Likes

It’s like he understands the words but nothing about the context of the joke.

Even on its face this is ironically poking fun at his candidacy but the fact that god is punishing Hagar in this comic makes it tone deaf, and therefore perfect.

8 Likes

That’s one interpretation.

A more reasonable one IMHO is that God doesn’t visit misfortune upon individuals as a form of punishment. Otherwise God’s answer to Hagar would have been “because I’m testing you” or “because you’re a dick” or “because I am a jealous God and you are a polytheistic pagan.”

“Experiencing terrible misfortune doesn’t mean God hates you” could be a comforting thought to a person of faith who lost a spouse and two children to early deaths.

132 Likes

The meaning for Biden seems to be a connection to his experience of grief following the loss of his wife and daughter. See: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/joe-biden-on-how-joe-kennedy-and-hagar-the-horrible-helped-him-deal-with-grief

65 Likes

Desk content forensics and no mention that Joe is (apparently) rock’n a Macbook Air and iPhone? (with no windows in sight)

22 Likes

and apparently using both at the same time. What’s with that?

3 Likes

Which one? Thor, Odin, or Loki?

19 Likes

Definitely Thor.

41 Likes

Did Hagar not stand his round at the hall? :wink:

6 Likes

Spot on. If Biden isn’t susceptible to the Just World Fallacy, that’s a point in his favour as far as I’m concerned.

59 Likes

You saying you never been at the computer get bored of the big internet and pick up the little internet on your phone to see if has something different?

55 Likes

Yes. And guess what surprise I found at booking.com or any travel portal you can think of…

3 Likes

That takes me back. When I was about seventeen, I had a summer job doing data entry and there was a copy of that cartoon pinned to the office corkboard. Evidently someone in the office was on the same wavelength as Joe Biden.

13 Likes

I was thinking something along the lines of “god does nasty things to random people for no particular reason” but I like your explanation better.

19 Likes

It’s similar to the punchline in Venus On The Half Shell by Kilgore Trout (Philip Jose Farmer). After Earth is destroyed, protagonist Simon Wagstaff searches the universe for the ultimate deity to ask the question, “Why are we born to suffer and die?” The deity answers, “Why not?”

17 Likes

Why Us?

9 Likes

Makes me think it works for agnostics too- if there were a God, bad shit happening to one is not saying God is there intentionally doing it to you.

This seems rather simplistic, but actually it’s deeper than it first appears.

Now as soon as I find an explanation for about 29 years of continuous bad luck of my 37, I’ll be good to go. Or bad to go, however that works.

10 Likes

Asked before

40 Likes