Biden may offer China ambassadorship to Pete Buttigieg

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/08/biden-may-offer-china-ambassadorship-to-pete-buttigieg.html

2 Likes

The link in the article that is supposed to point to the BBS … doesn’t.

Not sure what causes this, but it’s become a routine occurrence in the past few months.

3 Likes

Would Mayor Pete be welcomed there? Mainland China does not endorse same sex marriages.

2 Likes

I think that might be part of the point.

5 Likes

The cynic in me also thinks that this might be a way of cutting mayor Pete off at the knees. He clearly has political ambitions, and an ambassadorship, while a promotion is not the typical springboard to higher office.

5 Likes

Discourse have literally hired an outside agency just to look into this problem with Xeni’s posts so I think we can stop pointing it out now.

3 Likes

I really like Buttigieg and think he would be a great addition to a Biden administration, but I also strongly believe that (especially for postings in important and hostile countries) ambassadors should be experienced diplomats who have a good understanding of the country, its history and culture and (ideally) its language. I suppose that may be too much to ask, and ambassadors have teams to advise them on all of these matters, but think about the message that it would send if China sent an ambassador to Washington who did not even speak English.

4 Likes

Biden’s history with China

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.