Biden wins Arizona, first Dem to take state since Clinton era

26 Likes

That does not shock me, no! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Nope.

EDIT: Math is certainly not my strong suit, but I think this means Trump needs to win about 73% of the remaining vote–very little of which is left in Trump-friendly Maricopa County. About 10K of the remaining votes are provisional Pima County votes, and Pima County has gone 6-4 for Biden.

5 Likes

It’s not irrelevant until after January 6, that would be the appropriate time to dismiss it

2 Likes

Some of it is, and we can tell from Senate and House votes that tons of tickets were split.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s the “largely from” part that got me. Obviously, @beschizza isn’t one to dilute the real progress that was made here, but the national narrative has been pretty frustrating and once again puts all/most of the success on fickle white people. I really don’t want to hear four more years of why I need to pity some bigot who saw the light for five minutes while people who fought through institutional adversity to vote are ignored.

6 Likes

I’ve been watching elections since 1976. I’ve never seen the citizens celebrating like they did when it was called for Biden. Also, the Office of the President-Elect was a thing that Trump used in 2016, too. So ah… you whiffed there as well.

As for the rest, well, Trump will have his own channel soon, I’m sure you can learn all about his opinions there and how it was all rigged against him. You won’t be learning it from the white house press secretary after January 20th.

7 Likes

this q&a from nation legal editor is somewhat soothing. the ending is something–

9 Likes

I’ve been watching this play out on FB, and occasionally a person will show up to comment on some post saying “the election is rigged, the truth will come out.” I ask them for any evidence whatsoever of this, and they just repeat the claim. It’s as if “God said it, I believe it, and that settles it.” Except that God is Trump. Sheesh.

12 Likes

[ETA: Robert Reich’s comment appears to be inaccurate. Actual counts in AZ are a lot more complicated than his numbers suggest. ]

16 Likes

White Americans owe one hell of a lot more than gratitude to them…

14 Likes

TIL States have Flags, and they indeed awful

2 Likes

And to minorities everywhere. If only us white folk would get with the program. Democracy works, at least sometimes. In the face of rampant voter suppression, they came through. And answered the question of “who actually loves this country enough to inconvenience themselves for it?”

10 Likes

Or they might decide:

3 Likes

can someone tell me who Decision Desk is? I looked at their site and I saw nothing there to say that they are more trustworthy than API or Reuters. Also CNN still has not called AZ though NPR has

Apparently, it’s some tech dude bro who thinks he can do it better than the AP, cause he found them too slow?

I have no idea who Brandon Finnigan is?

3 Likes

Awesome
Thanks for the quick answer. For me Reuters and API are my go to sources for factual and fair reporting in print and NPR for broadcast

3 Likes

I don’t have a Linkedin account so i can’t see it but googling finds someone that seems to match:

2020-11-12_15-33-50

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandon-finnigan-0a165027

Edit: Found their Twitter

https://twitter.com/b_m_finnigan?lang=en

2 Likes

I saw this (paywalled?) NYT Piece yesterday which makes a bleakly plausible suggestion I hadn’t thought of: the reason GOP leaders aren’t swatting down Turmp’s fashy flailings is that they want him to enrage the scum vote in the Georgia Senate runoffs before they flush him.

That makes depressing sense. They all hate Turmp, and have no intention of giving up their power lunches to become Mad Max warlords. But if they admit he’s finished, it would alienate Georgia’s scumbag community, which could cost them the one thing they want most in the whole wide world, namely, two more white asshole senators.

5 Likes

Came here looking for this.

tRump totally pissed off the Dine when they asked for federal help due to the disproportionate impact that COVID was having on their people, and the fucking shit head sent body bags. Especially considering history, one could figure out that that may galvanize a community against him.

4 Likes