Big Hero 6 fabric excludes girl characters because boys think girls are "yuck": manufacturer

I wonder what Julia Stiles is doing at the moment?

1 Like

This is just like that one child’s clothing site that left Gamora off their shirts. When will these people learn?

It’s also interesting when they post things about diversity in silicon valley, yet most of their long-term additions to their own staff have been male, and I think all of them have been white.

1 Like

To be fair, two of them are audio-animatronics, one is a hobbit, and one is a lizard.

3 Likes

Sure, they eventually admitted they got called out, but only after penning a sexist response to being called out, and only after the story went viral. This doesn’t reek of a company trying to do the right thing but of a company trying to manage its publicity
 and you acknowledge as such when you talk about the company being concerned not about sexism in their products but instead about protests.

3 Likes

Woohoo, BINGO!

:wink:

3 Likes

Agree 100%,
In fact beginning in my 20s I bbegan to believed that homophobia and violence most often by confused/closeted curious/bi/homosexuals was a way of publicly covering and denying the uncomfortably strong but socially unacceptable(in some circles) attraction.

I take it you weren’t a chemistry major, then.

Cis–trans isomerism

(-:

A family friend used a recent Star Wars fleece to make a quilt for my daughter, knowing she was a huge Star Wars fan. She was delighted, then less delighted, when she learned her beloved Leia did not appear in ANY of the many scenes portrayed on her quilt. Every other major character, including the droids, was on it.

She was sad about this, and we had no idea how to explain it to her. But someday, we’ll have a conversation about the patriarchy, and how to burn it down.

8 Likes

If you find a fabric with the missing characters, you could cut them out and appliqué them onto the quilt.

3 Likes

Or make your own by inkjet printing onto fabric or iron-on transfer sheets and appliquéing or ironing-on to your quilt.

4 Likes

But
 But
 That would be intellectual property theft!!!

3 Likes

There’s actually some peer reviewed experents having to do with this stuff

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFj-s7VGHuPe9JUszzUIMosQGwRGA&sig2=Q_n2C2-YIqkgTaAaxPsgUA

Whoops!

1 Like

I like to think of such actions as less “illegal appropriation” and more “cultural detournement.”

5 Likes

How is the male-white-western-cis gaze cured?
It seems to have been well spread by Hollywood around the world, the entertainment that society worldwide has been taught to crave is in the male gaze and directly using it to hack in a formulaic way the primitive bits of limbic brain tissue by flashing sexualized imagery of women like some sort of hunting decoy for scientifically studied and verifiable box office returns.
It is a mix of follow the money and follow the sex, how can it be fought effectively beyond the educable few?

They haven’t done anything, really. Plenty of people have replied to their attempt to clean up the PR snafu that I won’t go into it, but I’m personally not particularly impressed.

2 Likes

I was really polite and my question is more than valid. The problem wasn’t dealt with, not really, imo. This sort of dismissive-ness of women in fiction is persuasive in our culture and to be quite honest, I’m tired of “settling” for “good enough”. And quite frankly, I don’t give a shit what some random person (likely a man, right, probably white?) thinks about that.

Requesting that women and girls be respected in media isn’t “carrying a torch”. It’s just common fucking sense. You might be comfy with the status quo, but I am not. And I am not sorry about it.

13 Likes

“Springs Creative does not condone sexism in any shape or form” Quoth Springs Creative: “eeeww girls! Yuck! Haha”
It’s like JLA without Wonder Woman.

4 Likes

8 Likes