Big Hero 6 fabric excludes girl characters because boys think girls are "yuck": manufacturer

Whoops!

1 Like

I like to think of such actions as less “illegal appropriation” and more “cultural detournement.”

5 Likes

How is the male-white-western-cis gaze cured?
It seems to have been well spread by Hollywood around the world, the entertainment that society worldwide has been taught to crave is in the male gaze and directly using it to hack in a formulaic way the primitive bits of limbic brain tissue by flashing sexualized imagery of women like some sort of hunting decoy for scientifically studied and verifiable box office returns.
It is a mix of follow the money and follow the sex, how can it be fought effectively beyond the educable few?

They haven’t done anything, really. Plenty of people have replied to their attempt to clean up the PR snafu that I won’t go into it, but I’m personally not particularly impressed.

2 Likes

I was really polite and my question is more than valid. The problem wasn’t dealt with, not really, imo. This sort of dismissive-ness of women in fiction is persuasive in our culture and to be quite honest, I’m tired of “settling” for “good enough”. And quite frankly, I don’t give a shit what some random person (likely a man, right, probably white?) thinks about that.

Requesting that women and girls be respected in media isn’t “carrying a torch”. It’s just common fucking sense. You might be comfy with the status quo, but I am not. And I am not sorry about it.

13 Likes

“Springs Creative does not condone sexism in any shape or form” Quoth Springs Creative: “eeeww girls! Yuck! Haha”
It’s like JLA without Wonder Woman.

4 Likes

8 Likes

So, without reading the other comments. My son who is 12, favorite character is Gogo… I have bought him clothing with female characters on it, and he enjoys them. Wears them, and likes to talk about the ones that people don’t know about. I wish manufactures would stop putting everyone in the same box. My toddler also loves Superheroes and I buy her what she wants to wear, so she’ll go out wearing a tutu with a batman shirt on, and rubber boots, she’s also obsessed with Dinosaurs, but there are very little Dinosaur themed girl things, so we end up buying her stuff that is marketed for males. I hate this idea that things are for only one gender to enjoy.

10 Likes

I was trying to make some fleece superhero pants for the kids of my extended family. 4/5 girls wanted Wonder Woman (the 5th wanted Captain America). Guess what apparently doesn’t come in licensed fleece? Princesses by the truckload, but not possibly the most iconic female superhero ever.

I managed to order 5 yards of WW flannel, instead.

3 Likes

Actually, I find that kind of sad. I pretty much trust anyone (at least for non-vital things) unless they’ve proven otherwise.

Over 50 years, there’s been the odd unpleasant surprise (versus thousands of examples where my faith has been well justified) but overall its made life much cheerier.

1 Like

I take back everything I’ve said in this thread. I erroneously believed that it was a good thing that they promised to make their lineup less sexist. When a company does something wrong, protesting to get them to change is the wrong thing to do. Even if they respond, they are lying. No point waiting to see if they make the promised changes, it must be assumed they will not. If they are not lying, they still don’t “get it” because they are inherently and irrevocably evil (otherwise they would not have committed the offense in the first place). If they improve their product line, it won’t be enough and it will have been done for the wrong reasons.
The only proper response is an immediate campaign to destroy the company and then The Patriarchy. All other actions are pointless half-measures. Sorry for implying that anything else could improve the situation.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Well big boys know girls are a yummy kind of yuck.

My 15 year old daughter read this mess and commented:
“Really? what a bunck you know Dad”
“And where were these people and their whining for fairness for boys when a Disney movie come’s out and all the stuff is for girls?”

Case in point: Disney’s Frozen.
Google Gods, Show me the Disney movie Frozens apparel:
Google images: Frozen pyjamas

And the only reason I posted is: She has a valid point that a lot seemed to miss.

2 Likes

Here is Springs Creative’s archive:http://baxtermillarchive.com

It only goes up to the 1970s.

If they improve their product line, it won't be enough and it will have been done for the wrong reasons.
100% true, because a corporation isn't actually a human being who has all the emotional and intellectual grounding that a real human has. Corporations are not people, even though they're run by people.
The only proper response is an immediate campaign to destroy the company and then The Patriarchy.
We don't have to destroy the corporation. Just threaten it with destruction unless it does as the real human citizens say.

Although I do agree that maybe we should wait a little while for this company to do something. A corporation’s rudder is small, and it’s velocity is slow. We can’t expect it to make a change overnight while it’s dependent on the licensure of property from another corporation that’s a behemoth in comparison and even less moral and even more uncaring.

5 Likes

There’s still an issue though. Increasing the proportion of female-oriented products isn’t a problem because they’re the under-served female majority in this case.

By the same logic, feminism is unfair.

The thing is, working towards gender equality by catering to the undeserved gender isn’t really unfair to the previously preferred gender.

I hope this isn’t considered mansplaining because that isn’t how I intend it, and I really don’t want to do that.

I’m just trying to express that an affirmative action, while at a specific moment in time, might be “unfair” in that it serves one gender more than the other, isn’t really unfair in the grand scheme, because it’s supposed to level the playing field.

6 Likes

It is exactly the same problem. It’s not that things are “for boys” or “for girls” - but that children are being forced into meaningless stereotypes for no valid reason. Not unlike with racism and classism, people are trained to identify with one, and avoid the other. The rationalizations behind the stereotypes tend to not be very relevant.

After my little one was born, the conceptual crisis people feel with this became readily apparent! “Congratulations! Is it a boy or a girl?” As if this is in any way a significant factor! When I often replied “Eh, I don’t recall. What difference does it make?” People’s responses ranged from frosty indignation to outright hostility. As if my lack of concern about this took something cherished and necessary for them and and maliciously stomped it in the mud. People took it personally. Acutely! My spouse even left me eventually over my lack of concern for gender roles, which were even more important to them than their own family.

2 Likes

Sidebar: google images and CEOs

1 Like

Cootie was my favorite game, ever.

1 Like