Bill Burr explains why Boston exists in the STAR WARS universe and why you're an idiot for asking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/bill-burr-explains-why-boston-exists-in-the-star-wars-universe-and-why-youre-an-idiot-for-asking.html

2 Likes

Chirrut Imwe was also from Boston (or at least honed his accent there growing up) and that didn’t seem to bother anyone.

1 Like

I always assumed accents in Star Wars were like accents in various movies/series set in Ancient Rome that used various British accents to represent different social classes.

5 Likes

ugh he has a Boston accent? Haven’t watched it yet. Knowing this now, the chances that I will have approached zero.

… for a second, I thought the headline was referring to the band.

7 Likes

In theory none of them are speaking English anyway, but some ancient alien tongue (and like on Star Trek they all seem to speak one language or have some kind of technological explanation for how they all understand each other) so he has a valid point.

2 Likes

I fucking love that custom figure. Hilarious.

In Star Wars, pretty much everyone speaks Galactic Common (which we hear in the films), as well as their own home language, and possibly languages common to where you live and work - like Huttese. So of course there will be millions of different accents out there.

8 Likes

No one commented on California, Midwestern, Oxford or even Kiwi…

1 Like

Given the Lucas naming convention, Boston would be Planet Wiketahsom, probably.

7 Likes

“Bill Burr explains why Boston exists in the STAR WARS universe”

No, he doesn’t. He skips right to insulting anyone who would ask the question.

2 Likes

That’s kinda his schtick.

1 Like

That’s because the question implies that a Boston accent is somehow less valid than any other accent from the English-speaking world.

6 Likes

Has any SF film had heavies (or heroes) talking Spanglish? I suspect racism.

1 Like

Does Blade Runner’s cityspeak count?

3 Likes

7240ecb4ef20b13d7d13e104ee51daee

5 Likes

Not directly applicable to your question, but belter creole from The Expanse series folds in spanish with a lot of other languages.

2 Likes

If they ever made a movie based on the Stainless Steel Rat series, they’d need to put Esperanto in there for authenticity.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.