Bill Cosby to be freed after Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturns convictions

He’s more radioactive than Roseanne, and there’s nothing he can do entertainment-wise to become relevant again.

I doubt any of his stuff will have much of an impact after he’s dead & buried. It isn’t like many people are streaming The Cosby Show now that he’s “innocent”.

His wife will have to live with the knowledge of what he did or the delusion that he’s innocent. He will have to live with the fact that his best days are far, far behind him, and his only option is to go into seclusion or hang out with sycophants.

5 Likes

Well , I guess it’s time to let Roman Polanski back to the US?
He had also been promised immunity in a verbal deal.

It is wholly normalized for anyone who isn’t rich. Normal people get the “if it’s not written down, it didn’t happen” treatment regularly.

5 Likes

It appears to be the case that, in fact, he just didn’t want to be embarrassed by a decision not to prosecute Cosby while he was running for office, so he fabricated a non-prosecution agreement after the fact.

2 Likes

Well, looky here…

7 Likes

At least John Goodman had enough sense to keep his mouth shut instead of going to bat for his former TV-spouse.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhyliciaRashad/status/1410289746539130882

She’s a Dean at Howard University now too. I can’t imagine this is something a student who had been a victim of sexual assault would want to see the head of their college tweeting out.

13 Likes

This helps explain what we discussed here:

Bruce Castor

Yeah, if the previous prosecutor make deals like this, it’s irredeemable.

Thats the thing, this was the only case that was within the statute of limitations. Cosby had tapered down his sexual assaults.

Jesus – all Rashad had to do was: nothing.

He’ll still have a golf buddy, though:

3 Likes

One could hope this heralds the second half of his punishment-- being heckled and harrassed every time he goes out in public.

4 Likes

Can this decision be appealed or can there be a new trial? Does double jeopardy apply?

No new trial. The court vacated the conviction with prejudice.

The DA could appeal to SCOTUS but it’s highly unlikely the court would take up the case.

This is basically the end of the line.

7 Likes

Castor said he told Risa Ferman, who was his first assistant at the time and the DA when she decided to reopen Constand’s case in 2015, to notify Constand’s attorneys about the agreement, and assumed she had done so. However, in emailsbetween him and Ferman from the fall of 2015 that were included as exhibits, Ferman said she had no idea what Castor was talking about.

O’Neill asked Castor again why he didn’t follow the state’s immunity statute by making an agreement in writing with the plaintiff’s attorney. Castor insisted he didn’t need anyone’s approval because he was the “sovereign” of Montgomery County.

That’s where things got truly surreal.

“The prosecutor, according to Pennsylvania rules, [is a] minister of justice,” Castor said. “And I did not believe it was just to go forward with the criminal prosecution. I wanted there to be some measure of justice. So I made the determination as the sovereign—and not Bruce Castor, district attorney. I am the sovereign of Montgomery County. As the sovereign, I determined we would not prosecute Cosby, and that would then set off a chain of events that I thought as a minister of justice would gain some justice for Andrea Constand.”

When Dolores Troiani and Bebe Kivitz, Constand’s attorneys, took the stand, they disputed nearly everything Castor said—and they did so again on Wednesday.

In the end, O’Neill ruled against Cosby’s defense, in essence saying he did not find Castor’s testimony credible, and denying their motion to dismiss the charges. But Castor stuck to that story, and it eventually became part of Cosby’s post-conviction appeal.

10 Likes

I dunno, Louis CK probably needs an opening act for his comeback our.

I have a horrible feeling he’ll be doing short, softball skype interviews on Fox soon enough. At the very least, a New Year’s Eve ten minute check in celebrating “justice” and thanking him “for the laughter.” Yuck.

To everyone saying the court basically had no choice, that is 100% bullshit. The court could have:

1. Overturned the conviction
  2. Barred the prosecutors from using Cosby’s testimony from the case where he was offered immunity
  3. Not barred the prosecutors from retrying Cosby

And if Cosby were a murderer instead of a rapist they would have. There is no way they would bar prosecution against a 60-times killer. But a 60-times rapist? Well they’ve served their two years, that’s good enough. This happened because the court doesn’t care about rape.

The court is fucked. The statute of limitations is fucked. This is not a case about a prosecutor screwing up.

This is a case about wealthy people being above the law and a society that really doesn’t give a fuck about women being raped, and that shows that in it’s laws, in it’s court rulings, in who is promotes to prosecutor, and in a million other ways.

15 Likes

There is technically thinking a ruling is “good” and then there is justice.

Justice was not done here. Because so many innocent people are in jail because they are poor. Whatever the technical reasons he got off, he got off because he was powerful and influential. Full stop. The lives of the rich are worth more in the criminal justice system. It is not fair and just at all.

I’m sorry if that steps on your toes, but it’s just the facts of reality.

11 Likes

This is now how things work. The rich can pay people off and then go right back to doing the crime they’re accused of.

9 Likes

At the bottom of that particular tweet:

Who can reply?

People @PhyliciaRashad follows or mentioned can reply

Imagine that.

From her current employer:

ETA: In this instance, the comments are worth skimming through:

Howard University Refused To Help Suicidal Rape Victims, Explosive Lawsuit Claims
One Howard University official allegedly told a student “you embarrassed your family” by going public about being raped.

16 Likes

Women’s Lives Matter.

10 Likes

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

3 Likes