Bill Hicks' 12 Principles of Comedy

USians!

You’re going to tell me you’re from somewhere else now aren’t you…

Urugauy?

yeah, it was one of those automatic reactions. i am pretty sure i was their comedy relief for the night (which I didn’t mind, after my face stopped being red)

Just the US and Urugauy then.

WTAF?
TIP, To Improve Performance.

Having worked at many bars throughout the place, I can tell you that not tipping your bar staff in Scotland is viewed the same as anywhere else that tipping is a thing. You don’t need to but you look like a stingy bastard compared to the ones that do. I always drop an extra quid after the first round and will season appropriately throughout my stay if they take care of me (improved performance).

I guarantee it is greatly appreciated and can constitute a significant percentage for someone working split shifts on minimum wage.

This is the only thing that makes sense.
Messing with American tourists is a national barkeep pastime.

Heh, they made me take my money back and gave us free sandwiches. It is likely they were taking the piss out if us. It was delightful.

2 Likes

You got it right. :smile:

It’s not an insult and is more of an endearing joke. Just don’t ever ask them about haggis.

Hah!! I for one know how serious that is. Did you see my Burns night photos ? :smile:

1 Like

As an american with only two generations between me and Annan… I completely agree.

Aye, verah nice.

I contributed the poem, ‘Sketch New Year’s Day. To Mrs Dunlop’.

Who piped your haggis in, min?

And in case anyone thought this was off topic, it falls under no. 12:
12. I love my cracker roots. Get to know your family, be friends with them.

A good friend of mine, but we chose shuttle pipes and not highland. And the dagger we pierced the haggis with was an old railroad tie.

1 Like

If an American tourist tried to tip me I’d take the money, of course, but I never really expected it.
some of the locals would try and buy me a drink if they were getting a big round, and usually I’d say “I’ll have a quid’s worth” and add a pound to the total, but it was usually only something you’d do if you’d been chatting all evening and you knew each other. I don’t think I’ve ever tipped anybody else behind a bar in this country.

The greatest stand-up comic who ever walked the face of the planet. An paralleled sense of irony about the crazy world around him.

And I didn’t even agree with all of his politics and theories. But still laughed at the jokes he made in those realms.

I was carving out about at least 4 or 5 reasons why the line “honey grab me a beer, got a war to win!” was insanely hilarious. As well as many other lines. Plural punchlines per sentence.

The cult following he has - you know, the “greatest ever philosopher” crowd - bizarrely miss all the REAL reasons why he was so great. It was his irony, his delivery, his improvisation (which wasn’t human, I swear to God), his polemical willingness to go in front of a crowd and tell them they’re all wrong when he’s “supposed” to make them laugh first, all of it had the makings of someone who had far much left to say.

No comedian as far as I am aware has dared to again make a smoking routine with the attempt to be as funny as Bill’s.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.