Bill Weld: I’m Running Against Trump in the Republican Primary

5 Likes

He sounds like a regular republican 30 years ago, instead of one of the christian jihadists like pence, or trumpists.

Used to be reasonable people could disagree, and vote their way and if a republican won, it didn’t feel like all your rights as a woman or gay person were in serious jeopardy.

This isn’t to say I support him, but it’s refreshing to see a “republican” candidate that’s not fucking batshit.

13 Likes

Ya… I’m kinda of the same opinion as the author: filed to “Good luck with that”. The avg Republican voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

7 Likes

“And, who knows? Maybe the horse will sing.”

8 Likes

I’m just saying, he has a better platform than “I’ll work at least as hard as trump to destroy the country.” A low bar, but hey it’s something.

1 Like

Jeff Flake recently made a compelling argument that the GOP would be destroying its future by re-nominating Trump even though he’d be the most likely candidate to win in 2020. As an analogy he discussed how Republican Governor Pete Wilson of California cynically championed a xenophobic anti-immigrant ballot proposition (Prop 187) to rally his base during a reelection campaign in 1994. The tactic worked, helping Wilson win another term in office, but also poisoned the Republican Party in the eyes of centrist voters at a time when changing statewide demographics made minority votes more important than ever. Only two Republicans have won any kind statewide office since.

5 Likes

John McAfee should register as a Republican. Would really spice up the primary debates. (Asssumimg they allow him a telepresence robot ala Snowden since he’s on the run currently IIRC)

2 Likes

You know, I’d almost pay to watch McAfee and trump interact.

4 Likes

Put them on an deserted island with a bale of cocaine and a bucket full of adderall, two knives and a bottle of tequilla.

7 Likes

I guess if Trump died in the week before the primary, he might win.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Critically, one of those Republicans (The Govenator) frequently went left on social policy and immigration.

3 Likes

That’s a waste of good drugs!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.