Billboard companies reject atheist group's ad mocking Noah's Ark theme park as 'Genocide And Incest' center

Still better that the pro-birth billboards in my area, trying take everyone riding by on a guilt trip.

4 Likes

.[quote=“Melizmatic, post:24, topic:77940”]
Still better that the pro-birth billboards in my area, trying take everyone riding by on a guilt trip.
[/quote]

Got one of those, too, on the downtown Inner Loop, one of the “we have fingerprints in the womb!” guilt trip next to two 6 month old toddlers.

1 Like

Threads like this make me happy that I live in Japan where we have no abundance of pushy Christians or Dawkinsites.

3 Likes

One here has a red-headed infant next to some tripe about when hair color is established during gestation.

7 Likes

People generally don’t consider factual accounts of genocide and incest as books of supreme wisdom and morality, though. I think the issue is that most religious people haven’t actually read the bible and are only familiar with touchy-feely excerpts from it.

2 Likes

Sounds horrible. Glad you escaped! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I consider frightening kids, and poisoning their minds with ridiculous myths to be CHILD ABUSE. Good on you for your “awakening”! Be proud!

10 Likes

Ya know, there are lots of religions besides Christianity

2 Likes

Shit - good point! (looks for “Holy Diver” on Spotify)

1 Like

Any group that calls themselves “freethinkers” thinks they are, and don’t have to think about it.

That billboard was designed by people not skilled in introspection.

3 Likes

I suppose skeptic is a loaded term as well? How about humanist?

3 Likes

Actual billboard near Montgomery, AL. We used to pass it on the way to my grandparents.

10 Likes

Also, anyone but me notice that the billboard message company owners all appear to be Jesus freaks. Maybe it’s just that the ones who are, well, own billboard companies and can make their message heard well. But I have seen an awful lot of empty billboards covered with religious messages as placeholders until a paying customer signs up.

5 Likes

I don’t really have any problem with the ones that stick to the touchy-feely excerpts. It’s the ones that embrace the non-touchy-feely, angry, mean-spirited parts that suck.

5 Likes

I never understood the idea of “the devil” or how the devil could make someone do something.

4 Likes

Lamar and Clear Channel are both major owners of billboard space and are both run by right-wing knuckle dragging troglydytes.

5 Likes

Why does the Devil have a scythe? That’s Death’s weapon of choice. The Devil uses a pitchfork, sometimes depicted as a trident.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s a sickle, and IIRC, there’s something somewhere in bible about people being “sifted like wheat” by the devil during the end of days…

1 Like

A sickle is the curvier one-handed one, as seen on the flag of the USSR.

The Bible verse mentions separating wheat from chaff with a winnowing fork (or fan or shovel, depending on translation,) which looks a lot more like a pitchfork than a scythe, and what’s more it’s being wielded by God.

3 Likes

What exactly was the billboard supposed to accomplish? You certainly won’t change anyone’s mind being that aggressive. Like trolling conservative forums, all this accomplishes is confirming your own virtue to yourself. It’s basically masturbation.

2 Likes