Billboard displays huge swastika and other vile messages in PA – and nothing can be done (video)

IDK shame if the highway department had to put a road through…

A large and conspicuous Confederate flag, visible to hundreds of thousands of motorists along Interstate 95 in Stafford County, was removed by its backers this week to make way for a Virginia Department of Transportation project to ease traffic snarls along a congested stretch of the highway.

https://archive.ph/7TGEH

19 Likes

Also the possible source of the term “Pennsyltucky” for the rural zones with this attitude on display.

17 Likes

Someone needs to tell him about Popper’s note re in/tolerance. Some ‘views’ do not get respect - ever.

19 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @gracchus and @Bunbain! I just updated the post with a similar block quote (from a more recognizable source) to give the fine gentleman his due credit.

23 Likes

“I spent 22 years in the military defending this country, and I’ll spend my last hours doing the same thing,” he said.

Whatever this guy does is inherently necessary for national defense. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Where my white hats at?! Get to work!

9 Likes

Heh. I get it. I’ve lived in both those places. Those phrases are excellent way to say “these people in the state (many of whom are multi-generational) aren’t representative of the state, they’re representative of that shit-ignorant part of the country. Not us, we’re better than that.”

Turns out it’s actually “Pennsylvania” all the way down.

19 Likes

OH, it’s one of those digital billboards… it would suck so bad if someone vandalized it to the point it couldn’t be repaired…

13 Likes

I think it’s an organisational issue.

Nazis are bad because they’re the government doing nasty things to people. The billboard owner and his white supremacist ilk just want the government to leave them alone to their ad-hoc lynchings and pogroms.

14 Likes

No true Pennsylvanian…

12 Likes

Nope, they represent the state just fine. Like most states, the divide is largely urban/rural. Urban areas trend blue, rural trend red. With all the necessary qualifiers about blue voters in red districts and vice-versa. This pattern holds nationwide.

17 Likes

the whitehats would break the security and send them a notice that they should patch their billboard without changing anything, anything else is gray/black

9 Likes

Probably my favorite thing about Free Speech absolutism is that it allows - nay, encourages - reprehensible people to let everyone else know how horrible they are, and where they live.

(quoting the late Mike Dobbs, who was actually talking about pedophiles publishing magazines.)

9 Likes

Nice expensive billboard targets he’s got there, be a shame if they got ruined somehow…

13 Likes

As to the nothing can be done… we used to call it “billboarding.”

5 Likes

Electronic billboard, you say.

On a completely unrelated note- has boingboing ever done a story on constructing an EMP device?

22 Likes

I see your “insecure web interface” and raise you a “ChatGPT-written exploit”.

10 Likes

Do those billboards have any kind of wireless connectivity? Can those things be hacked? I’m not suggesting anyone do that, I’m just curious. Very, very curious.

21 Likes

“… the image, widely considered, to be a hate symbol…”

That’s one way of referring to the Nazi Flag. This isn’t even just some random Swastika; that some trolley might claim is okay, because, in another context, it is a religious symbol. This is a fucking Nazi Flag!

20 Likes

The Australian state I live in, Victoria, has banned swastika displays. Perhaps Pennsylvania should enact the same thing.

15 Likes