Billionaire amateur architect of windowless dorm says artificial windows are better -- they can be set to be "cheerful" or "romantic"

This billionaire, like all billionaires really, needs to shut the fuck up now. Every minute we tolerate the existence of billionaires is another deathblow to the human race.

Yes, I am perfectly aware of what it sounds like I’m suggesting. I’m also perfectly ok with this. I’m fed up and I’ve fucking had enough.

26 Likes

This guy is a fucking idiot.

8 Likes

If:

• living in these dorms will be cheaper than windowed dorms (which the U Mich dorms seem to be)
  • there is ample shared space with natural lighting (which is in the description somewhere)
  • there is good air flow within each room (which…I have no idea if will be true)

Then living here may not be so bad. Each student gets their own room for a lower price than shared rooms in traditional dorms. Obviously, natural lighting would be better, but it’s all a trade-off.

3 Likes

There are many new high-rise buildings that exist to attract UM students in Ann Arbor now. You would not recognize downtown, South Main or South University if you haven’t visited in the last 10 years. They are pricy (to my ears), but for a lot of students/parents, it’s a more attractive choice than the dorms.

I finally looked up the dorm at UM named after the old man…UM’s Munger Hall is a graduate student dorm that a student would have to specifically choose to live in. According to UM’s housing website, each bedroom has its own bathroom, and the ‘apartments’ look considerably bigger than the proposed death trap featured in the BB OP.

10 Likes

And we can’t even make him live in it to prove that there’s nothing wrong with the design because the fucker will be dead before they finish building it.

When I went to UCSB there were roughly 24M people in CA and there were 8 UC campuses for undergrads (UCSF doesn’t count). It’s 2021 now and there are around 40M people in CA. The UC now has 9 campuses for undergrads. The problem isn’t that there isn’t enough student housing at UCSB. The problem is that there needs to be another 2 or 3 UC campuses.

2 Likes

Ah, but this time we have an interview where he expands on his gross fuckwittery. Don’t recall seeing that last time.

And I was going to say ‘citation please’ re

I have built a dorm just like this at the University of Michigan with no windows, and no windows in the bedrooms at all. Everybody loves it, they fight to get in.

but @Brainspore has provided the truth

4 Likes

Mr. Munger you calcified piece of shit, go away, now.

7 Likes

You know, I’m not an anarchist at all. But more and more, I’m feeling that Tim May|Jim Bell’s concept of assassination markets might not be as bad an idea as I originally thought a couple of decades ago. Finally, an application that needs blockchain tech.

4 Likes

Why is this not worth a try? When I lived in a dorm, it was basically a crash pad that I slept in and cooked ramen in, little else. Most of my time was spent in common areas or outside with my friends. Santa Barbara is a very outside-friendly area. Lots of bedrooms in cities have “light wells” that are just garbage windows to nowhere. This just does away with the conceit that those are functioning windows and supplies you with abundant artificial full-spectrum light. If the ventilation is good too, why not?

Santa Barbara is one of the most expensive towns to live in, with a terrible housing crunch. Density is good for the climate, good for rents, and good for social connections.

Sure the optics of a billionare dumping his pet project on a university aren’t great, but as a college professor, I can tell you this shit happens all the time in just less mouth-foam-inducing ways.

I don’t think it’s terrible in principle. Build it, and if it sucks, then it was worth a shot.

2 Likes

People who actually build shit for a living and understand the impact that windowless places has on the human psyche? None of the reaction is people taking wild guesses. Much of the reaction is derived from decades of research on how human beings interact and react with their environments…

Then FIX that problem then!!! FFS.

Season 2 Yes GIF by Showtime

We should stop throwing random amounts of cash at rich people to do dumb shit just because they are rich.

24 Likes

So what is it about fish that makes you hate them?

7 Likes

Have you looked at the design? Or read the comments on the design?

The lack of windows is merely one of many many issues. The dorms are designed like prisons with even less access to toilets.

14 Likes

He doesn’t want a dorm, he wants a monument.

8 Likes

I still don’t get how this is legal. Seems like building codes require windows in living areas, particularly bedrooms. Can the university ignore building codes?

It has been tried, by this dude, at another university, and it sucks. Poor ventilation, safety issues and the lack of natural light screws up circadian rhythms, especially when something happens like, oh, the covid pandemic that forces people to stay in their rooms for longer than required for just sleeping.

What the actual fuck. The building will cost $1.5 billion. (He’s giving $200 million.) If they build it, they’ll have wasted one point three fucking billion dollars of the university’s money, beyond what he’s given, on uninhabitable dormitory space, for which there will be no will to replace it no matter how much it’s hated. Because, you know, universities don’t have fucking billions of dollars to waste on shit like fixing avoidable mistakes.

32 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s a lie. They’re not displays of any kind. They’re just a light box that can be yellow or blue.

4 Likes

If it sucks then that means the people who actually studied architecture and usability were right but were overruled by an egotistical amateur who blackmailed the university with a fat checkbook.

How does that quality as “worth a shot” rather than “predictable consequence?”

22 Likes

This building is designed to have higher urban density than the Kowloon Walled City archology.

I would be very much surprised if it doesn’t turn out equally decrepit, miserable, and filthy.

8 Likes

luxury

It’s fine… I’m sure the public will pick it up via taxes… Time to raise taxes on the middle class and cut that pesky child tax credit. Gotta build a monument to stupid wealth.

14 Likes

But just think how many more research possibilities there will be on the subject if it gets built and test subjects get stuffed inside. /s

8 Likes

Of course! Silly of me! It’s a perfect new lab for studying human misery! GENIUS!!! You got real administration material written all over you! /s

11 Likes