Billionaire amateur architect of windowless dorm says artificial windows are better -- they can be set to be "cheerful" or "romantic"

Years if not decades of education, training, and experience in a highly skilled engineering discipline where people’s lives literally depend on you doing your job right, you mean?

20 Likes

He’s working with Elon to provide the tech-peons for the Galts Gulch Mars colony.

After a few years in that dorm, they’ll be ready.

eta: In this interview, he compares the dorm to a “cruise ship”. Dun-dun-duuun!

8 Likes

What?! He’s got a billion dollars! That makes him, like, the smartest man EVER!!!

(/s)

8 Likes

“This just in: Billionaire living in own isolation bubble conducts exhaustive study and determines that all the voices in (his) world agree with him. Except that one guy, who everyone has agreed is an idiot. Film at 11.”

5 Likes

It’s all fun until someone breaks the slow glass and releases 10 years of stored energy.

5 Likes

This totally made me think of that episode!
I’ve sat at hotel breakfast rooms where the TV next to the table was tuned to some religious program, and when I tried to turn it off, it kept turning back on within 3 minutes. Happened over and over. Now imagine that’s your bedroom “window”! Ugh.
(I ended up disconnecting the cables to the monitor, it was the only way.)

To both of you I would introduce the concept of passive survivability. We know there are likely to be more frequent power outages in the near future. Buildings like this are not survivable without loads of external “life support.”

To add to all the other valid points about design and how we know better, think of the environmental implications. Why waste all those resources (concrete is very “expensive” in terms of CO2, as but one example) on something that anyone who has bothered to read a design book (let alone actually study the subject) could tell you is a bad design?

18 Likes

I’m really curious what this guy’s own home is like. Suppose he has any windows in it?

5 Likes

Oh, you know he does… those wall to ceiling ones that let it lots of light and face south and basically cover an entire wall of his house. Small, cramped windowless spaces are for the unwashed masses, not for the elites… and they should feel lucky to have THOSE spaces…

11 Likes

So… A freshman boy’s dorm?

I recall mine being something of an orgy of destruction.

The worst aspect of this building is that it only has two exits, which seems like it should be a clear violation of fire codes. I can’t imagine any responsible city issuing a certificate of occupancy for a building like that.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Charlie Munger is Warren Buffet’s right hand man, until the 2 of them stepped away from running the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio a couple of years ago. He’s pretty used to thinking that he’s the smartest guy in the room. Accumulating billions of dollars probably would distort anyone’s world view, but in this case I think he might have wandered out of his area of expertise.

6 Likes

But we have the entire country for that now!

A cruise with less access to a shower and toilet. Even cheap cruises have a toilet in each room. The only cruise I’ve been on had bigger rooms.
Ugh.

especially in California. What happens to the ventilation during those rolling black outs that last 8 hours?

15 Likes

Sad Kristen Bell GIF

10 Likes

Windows provide:

1. Light
  2. Ventilation
  3. External stimuli (views and sound from outside – sounds of wildlife, etc.)
  4. Emergency egress

“Artificial windows” provide:

1. Light

Which leaves all the rest of the functions unserved.

18 Likes

Yeah, exactly: a power outage at any time of the day or night puts 4500 students out the door for an unknowable amount of time. They can’t study, eat, sleep, change, shower, anything. What if in the chaos they forgot to grab their medications? Or their contacts/glasses? Oh well.

12 Likes

I’m sure you’ll be first in line to move in.

But all isn’t lost - it’s perfectly suited to be a self storage facility

9 Likes

Well no… such things are for the undergrads, not the kings of the campus… /s

6 Likes

Not to mention that they may have a heck of a time even finding the exits in a building full of artificial windows.

4 Likes

It’s the sort of hellish accommodation you’d expect them to reserve for faculty.

5 Likes