Billionaire chartered a trip to space this year and is donating two other seats to a hospital

Originally published at: Billionaire chartered a trip to space this year and is donating two other seats to a hospital | Boing Boing

1 Like

This would be a hell of a get for the Make a Wish Foundation if they were able to give one seat to a kid with a critical illness.

9 Likes

There’s a seat there available in some online contest, but I read the T&Cs and they’ve set the ARV for the seat at $2.2MM, they are including $1MM to cover the income tax on the receipt of the flight, but as far as I can tell you’d still be on the hook for the income tax on that $1MM to cover the taxes. Much as I’d like to do this, I don’t have $500K sitting in my pocket to cover that!

1 Like

This is the most FANTASTIC news of the year so far. ANYONE can enter the raffle for any amount, all proceeds go to St. Judes…and a chance to win a ride on Space X!!! Sign me the eff up :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

“chartered a trip to orbit this year”

I too would like to orbit this year as I missed my chance to observe last year from a safe distance.

1 Like

Where are the T&C’s…? I thought it was any amount to enter?

I guess “Official Rules” — there’s no cost to enter, but one should anticipate the tax liability if you win…

1 Like

There’s 2 seats available, I think the one you are referencing is “prosperity” seat, that’s the one tied to a startup with the high point of entry cost. The other seat is called “generosity” and that’s the more generic raffle open to any amount. I just donated $300 for 3000 entries!!! Might not win, but either way still a great charity to help.

1 Like

it doesn’t appear to be a raffle or a sweepstakes, based on the rules here. It’s an actual contest, a game of skill, one where they can require you to pay to enter (lotteries not run by the government are technically illegal, which is why they offer a free way to enter. But if you add skill, then it’s cool).

Was looking at that earlier. Can’t find the other set of rules. Put this up by mistake

It’s a raffle, enter for as little as $10!!

Definitely check out this guy’s background. More qualified to command a space flight than any other civilian I know of.

Billionaire chartered a trip to space this year and is donating two other seats to a hospital

That’s generous, but I doubt that two seats will be adequate for a hospital.

2 Likes

It’s a great shame, although probably predictable, that the draw is only open to those “who are US persons as defined under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 C.F.R § 120.15 and domiciled in the US”.

1 Like

Well that puts a damper on the “everyone over 18 can enter” that I have seen in most headlines.

My main concern would be if there are Oompa Loompas on the flight

Now that’s a lottery!

1 Like

“Terminally Ill Child Flies Billionaires Into The Sun!”

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sadly, despite all his experience I very much doubt he will get to operate anything but the displays - from what I read in the reporting when Crew-1 went up regarding a civvy flight, it would very much be a full remote control from terra firma mission.

(edit for awful grammar)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.