Billionaire takes no responsibility for alienating daughter with polarizing comments on gender

NASA, as all government business (I know because work on one here in Brazil) has lots more checks and balances than private business. If any private business had the same checks and balances a public government business, it would survive five minutes.

And don’t say me money works as a check and balance: how many business works with sweatshops and so? They only stop when caught bloodhanded

3 Likes

He is exceptionally good at taking credit for others’ innovations and work, and for throwing insane amounts of money at things. If you do this often enough, some will pan out. Some will be disasters. If you take this to mean you are some sort of Lex Luthor level of supergenius, you will wind up looking like a shitweasel. Case in point…

15 Likes

This moniker is really sticking, huh? :grin:

16 Likes

Little things like insisting that the computer use machine vision using optical only inputs for obstacle detection instead of doing what every other manufacturer is doing and using things like distance sensors for obstacle detection; Optical vision can work for figuring out where road markers are, but not for determining if there’s a bollard | bicycle | motorcycle | semi-truck | child in the way. Plus, there’s not redundancy for it.

(And also, the whole thing of “I was trapped inside my tesla WHILE IT WAS BURNING and had to break a window because I couldn’t get the doors open” is pretty damning as well.)

And not to bag entirely on the shitweasel and the car company he’s mis-managing, but GM kinda screwed up with their electric Hummer. A car testing channel recently bought one, and the main computer on it glitched out and left them stuck in the left turn lane with a locked drive train for over an hour until they managed to find the poorly marked manual forward truck release on it in order to get to the secondary battery and hard-cycle the vehicle, PLUS it locked out the gear selector until the driver did some ridiculous sequence in order to unlock things. the root cause was ‘a software bug’, which was resolved by a firmware update.

But I’m drifting off topic here; Back to shitweasel bashing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t mean to suggest that Tesla would have had fully autonomous vehicles without Musk - I mean he’s hobbled the program and its ability to produce anything of worth, by insisting, for example, that the only sensor needed was a camera, because human beings can drive just fine using their eyes. (Never mind that human beings have, you know, human brains, which the car will never have, and other sensors are required to make up for the fact.) The end result is that they’re not going to come up with anything of value even for assisted driving, but instead a system that drives into the sides of trucks because the camera can’t distinguish them from the sky, whereas other companies actually have semi-functional autonomous vehicles (even if the vehicles themselves are not going to be commercial products any time soon). Waymo has autonomous vehicles driving around San Francisco, and although they’re not fit for purpose,Tesla vehicles with their best autonomous tech are incredibly dangerous even with someone actively behind the wheel.

6 Likes

Not a great look, cozying up to Putin

7 Likes

Cool, so if somebody steals a yacht/car/whatever from Elon he won’t do anything about it to avoid the potential for escalation? Good to know.

Maybe Twitter should just take his $44 billion when they inevitably win the court case and not give him control of the company.

6 Likes

As someone who lives in Cambridge, England, performative reading is one of my biggest pet peeves, but here they usually do whilst wearing tweed or corduroy. I’ve never seen anyone do it in a stillsuit before.

6 Likes

I propose a limit of “None at all.” Or do you mean just for the AN generator?

6 Likes

surely that’s photocollage, and not a cell phone desperately trying to make bricks without straw?

I saw a guy reading On the Road and wearing an outfit made of some sort of reflective/metallic material (like what some windshield sunshades are made from). This was in the Herald Square subway station in New York. He was simultaneously (ostensibly) reading Kerouac, and grooving to the band that was playing* on the station’s mezzanine. Maybe I should cut the Happy Mutant some slack.
*(Granted that was one of the most inspiring musical performances I’ve ever witnessed in my life.)

1 Like

google “Grimes reading Marx” and there are plenty of photos from other angles to show that it is most likely a book.

Of course, said early electric vehicles were then entirely replaced by ICE vehicles, because of the weight and poor energy density of lead-acid batteries compared to gasoline or diesel.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.