Billionaire who gave Jeffrey Epstein power of attorney in order to manage his finances says Epstein stole "vast sums of money"

seriously?

11 Likes

I would say that it’s interesting that he didn’t aggressively go against Epstein or talk much about the guy until recently, its almost like he and Epstein might have some kind of shared secret. But i wonder what it could be :thinking:

4 Likes

FYI unless I’m mistaken, it’s not Bed Bath & Beyond which L Brands owns, but Bath & Body Works.

3 Likes

At least some of the people around him were happy to associate with him just because he was a rich asshole, but yeah, it’s hard to separate the sex crimes from his popularity with others, at least. Wexner can’t convincingly claim to be totally ignorant of what Epstein was doing, for instance. At best, he knew some of it, but didn’t care - but that also assumes he was just a naive billionaire who got conned by Epstein, and I’m not sure I buy that.

Especially since the billionaire in this case at least knew bad shit was going on, and it apparently didn’t bother him. (E.g. Epstein raping someone in the guy’s house, with his own security then trying to keep her from leaving.)

Oh man, he and Trump share so much… no wonder they were friends. (Until, from what I’ve read, Epstein was showing Trump a property he was going to buy, but then Trump got some laundered Russian money to buy it out from under him. Epstein was unprepared for that because he knew Trump had no money, nor was he able to get a bank loan in time.)

5 Likes

Okay, wait now. Victoria Secret ethical and honest? GTFO. If you want to call the rank objectification of women ethical and honest… I don’t even care what he knew or didn’t know. And also, I’m not named Rachael Rebecca Hoffman for nothing. This isn’t antisemitism, this is anti supporting pedophiles.

5 Likes

I’ve somehow missed this detail in all the reporting on Epstein and I’m floored. Do you suppose there are former students out there calling their old friends: “Remember Mr. Epstein? I was right, he is a creep!!”

3 Likes

Solid fucking theory.

2 Likes

It was co-founded by a woman and they currently have 4 women on the board of directors. Some say objectifying, some say empowering.

That was my assumption, but then again, if he could convince a single billionaire like Wexner to give him power of attorney, all he had to do was make a hundred million or two go into his private accounts and soon you’re talking real money. Guessing Epstein might have had other financial clients who are working very hard to not have their names affiliated with him.

3 Likes

This takes the view it’s objectifying and exploiting:

2 Likes

“Yes judge… umm… he absolutely stole that money… eh… they’re not blackmail payments for… nothing… not a single thing… nope…”

1 Like

And dimes to dollars this Wexer guy has a diploma from some prestigious big-name Ivy League school that supposedly turns out only the best and brightest. Every day we see more evidence that the oligarchic rhetoric about how rich people are rich because they’re the best is self-serving crap. And every day we see more evidence that my grandfather was right when he said more education does not make you smarter.

Interesting thing about me: No one has power of attorney over my finances. I mean, my spouse and I have joint everything, so they have a lot of power over my finances. My spouse has a nonagenarian grandparent who’s children have power of attorney over their finances. I think a parent of mine had power of attorney over their sibling’s finances after a severe stroke.

I just need to know. Is this a normal things for billionaires to do? While mentally and physically fit, give the power to completely clean them out to a non-relative just to make managing their money more convenient?

If not, I think Wexner probably has some more explaining to do. If so, how do I get into the field of being handed a billion dollars by an idiot with a billion dollars?

4 Likes

If this guy lives to see trial I will be surprised. Too much dirt on too many powerful people.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wexner has a business administration degree from Ohio State (probably from the 1960s, so before management acquired much mystique), Not the most exclusive school. Nor is he one of those corporate raider types a la Eddie Lampert.

3 Likes

Well, I guess that some days, swimming in lucre just loses its appeal, and you just wish that someone would take care of it for you, so you can concentrate on… stuff…

Oh, it’s like a prince and a pauper deciding to switch places so they can live each other’s lives?

(I’d link a comical song from my youth about this, but the lead singer went on to hit/choke a bunch of women)

1 Like

this “power of attorney” seems pretty powerful. I’m not a lawyer, but to me it looks like it may even be one of those durable grants.

1 Like

Green Shirt Guy, for those times when you just can’t take any more Brown Shirt Guys…

1 Like