Billy Corgan upset

Oh Billy you destroyed your career a long time ago by being an asshole.

5 Likes

and strangely (much like the term liberal) I’d never take it as an insult.

8 Likes

I love it when someone calls me an SJW - OMG how terrible of me! Caring about other people! What a horrible person I am! LOL

22 Likes

you sound mad bro.

13 Likes

See, there’s the thing (learned from over a decade working in comedy clubs)- The edgier or more potentially offensive the joke is, the better a comic you have to be to pull it off. It’s way more than just the “punching up vs down” thing- There are subtle nuances of phrasing, timing, inflection, and the all important context. Lenny Bruce or Jon Stewart or Saint Carlin could make rape jokes. They could drop an N-bomb and have every black person in the audience applaud- And that is a very difficult and specific skill to master. Not just anyone can do it.

And because that is a specific, esoteric, and difficult skill, it leads to two problems:

One, is people who think they’re good enough to pull it off, and aren’t.

And two, is people who fixate so much on the fact that they used a trigger word, that they completely miss what they meant by it.

24 Likes

I agree! I never understood why these terms are thrown around like some sort of insult.

Everybody’s pal Jesus was a pretty big liberal and SJW in his time, or so I’ve heard.

14 Likes

Whenever someone says, “[person or group] can’t take a joke,” what they really mean is, “I can’t make a joke.”

Be funnier.

I can’t remember who I heard say it, I think it was Stewart Lee (whose DVD commentary is extremely pensive on what is funny) but I’m not sure. “The audience will let you know if a joke went too far by not laughing.”

16 Likes

What’s to “destroy?”

A hasbeen trying to extend his 15 minutes that were over sometime at the beginning of the new millenium?

Bottom line:

Say whatever the fuck you want, just don’t whine about any consequences and repercussions that may result.

10 Likes

I didn’t miss it. Noting that the internet hate machine is bad and people can be bad in non-racist ways is fair (but obvious), and could be discussed constructively, but wasn’t. Instead it was couched/followed with babble about SJWs, cursing people protesting Trump for suppressing free speech, and whining about how he’s not allowed to use the N-word which makes the former point at best an utterly confused way of trying to excuse hate. It’s that special kind of BS that criticizes people opposing one social evil for not also fighting every other social evil, like complaining about classism when racism is brought up. It’s esp. BS when Billy was flat out supporting some social evils (“poor me, I can’t be an open racist without consequences”).

9 Likes

It’s not the word that’s the problem. The word can be used in ways where virtually nobody will have a problem with it, and which certainly won’t create a stir. When someone uses the word as a way dehumanizing and demeaning a significant portion of the population in ways we have severe ongoing problems with in society that can sometimes get you in trouble. And FFS, it’s not like you just express an ugly racist thought and the Thought Police put a mark on your Permanent Record to eternally oppress you and destroy your life, career, and crush you into oblivion. Duck Dynasty racist scumbag guy’s till doing fine, and Paula Deen who was mentioned as a poor oppressed victim still has a show and a job. If you destroy your reputation by being a scumbag it can have bad effects for celebs., but I don’t really see that as a pressing problem to be really concerned about. Once the last vestiges of institutional racism are gone is the time to worry about that.

12 Likes

Be careful, personal accountability is considered a dog whistle around here!

Which cracks me up, actually… in real life everybody’s in favor of personal responsibility, as long as we’re talking about some other person!

2 Likes

Besides, what’s a social conservative without wanting to take no responsibility for their actions? Of course we self-police, having a filter inherently makes you a better person. Thinking about what you say versus doubling down on asinine speech, similarly.

It helps me realize what I think may be stupid or careless or hurtful and unless making the right sort of joke in the right sort of scenario, just surpressing idiocy like any flawed but wants to be better person would.

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself.

And unlike many folks, I actually own what I say and do; for good or ill.

If I fuck up, I admit it.

Speaking of:

No one here has called you that but you.

Now before you “offer” me anything in the way of “approval” which you seem to feel is important to the members here, let me give you a little something.

You’re welcome, and have a blessed day.

11 Likes

No idea if you’re a racist, but you must be terrible at reading comprehension.

9 Likes

Again, no one here called you any names; except you.

But please, do keep up the ‘oh-so-persecuted’ act; it’s really cute.

11 Likes

Why are we talking about you at all?

12 Likes

Peace, bro.

[image credit]

16 Likes

It’s looking more and more like @Lailoken is Billy Corgan’s BBS account.

14 Likes

Bad news for you, pal, the internet approval points here are real.

I’m still not clear what Billy Corgan was actually complaining about. And that’s a much bigger problem than ambiguous claims of the SJW man … er, entity … keeping people down.

6 Likes

There is no such thing. You should examine your premises.

Don’t you have a woman in journalism or video games to trolley to fill up your time?

9 Likes