Billy Porter and Stephen Stills made a weird video of that Buffalo Springfield song to close out DNC Night 1

To be fair, we’re in the middle of a pandemic, so… :woman_shrugging: Besides, Billy Porter can do no wrong! :grin:

4 Likes

Spot on. I thought his rendition, along with the visuals was spot on. From BLM, to a mask wearing populace, to the layering of old and new thoughts. I loved it! Goo Billy Porter!

1 Like

The original, written in the 60’s has most assuredly nothing to do with the 80’s. The layering with Billy Porter is everything and prescient. If you are referring to the graphics, only, you didn’t say that so your review of sorts, falls flat.
Rock on Billy and Steven. The networks should have shown this following M. Obama. A missed opportunity.

Because it was enthusiastically adopted by the antiwar movement, it’s often overlooked that *For What It’s Worth" was actually written about a somewhat earlier Culture Wars dust-up, the Sunset Strip Curfew Riots:

The touch point was a protest of the impending demolition of Pandora’s Box, a small music club/coffeehouse built on a traffic island on Sunset.

Stills has been heard to remark that “riots” was a silly name for what went down, which he says was really more of “a funeral for Pandora’s Box.”

Yep, “a different war… and yet the same.” It seems pretty much on-point for today’s troubles - and more relevant than it’s been in years.

(And may i just say, Ghod Bless Billy Porter!)

The flag graphic is reminiscent of Jasper Johns’ Flag (Moratorium) which was painted as an antiwar piece.

1 Like

Yeah - I liked it. A lot. And I’m old enough to remember when the original came out. (However a quick warning- he’s a great songwriter but don’t go see a Steven Stills show these days expecting him to be able to sing. They did good choosing Billy Porter).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.