Bird love: Hyacinth macaws are being so affectionate with this girl

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/bird-love-hyacinth-macaws-are.html

8 Likes

I want to be her. Since I can’t have large birds I’ll submit a bunch of parrotlets being petted on a bean plushie.

More bird love please :smiley:

31 Likes

These birds are one of those pets that are likely to outlive you (they can live 70 years or more in captivity), so if you intend to bring a hyacinth macaw into your life you should also plan on arranging an heir to take custody some day.

26 Likes

An acquaintance of mine had a turtle that wintered in their garage where the humans provided quality meals. They made plans to ensure he’d be provided for by surviving family. Adopting a Vulcan is a big commitment.

25 Likes
24 Likes

Birbs! They’re so cute but they’re damn loud too

14 Likes

My brother-in-law’s late father had a green parrot. She didn’t get along with my sister and vice-versa (which was pretty hilarious to watch) so his mother (the late owner’s ex-wife) eventually took her in when my sister’s patience ran out.

Then there’s this famous foul-mouthed macaw, who supposedly lived until age 105 and was cursing Hitler long after WWII.

17 Likes

Long live Charlie!

[Heads off to see if a young parrot can be taught Trump, Boris, Bolsonaro, Kammenos and a dozen or so other names. Can parrots do choruses?]

11 Likes

enterprise-trip-tpol-what

16 Likes

I had no idea birbs knew about hugs :bird:

9 Likes

That seems a much nicer interaction than this one…

fryparrotshag

But look how happy that bird is!

15 Likes

Does this context make them a pod of parrotlets; or only the green ones?

4 Likes

A blog “friend” on another blog has been feeding the magpies in his yard for several years, and several generations of magpies, and the adults now bring the babies to meet him.

13 Likes

Now, now, I’m sure that the bird is just dancing on his head.

5 Likes

I suspect that, rather than several generations, it is one nesting pair that has raised several clutches of children.

I feed the scrub jays in my yard, and the fledglings have a special call and posture they use to ask for food, and they will come up and do that call at me, because I usually give them a treat. They love fatty meat and fresh fruit.

7 Likes

Some of them, yes:

9 Likes

Please just don’t (“adopt” one). Their population is decreasing and they look soooo beautiful flying free in the wild…

3 Likes

Hyacinths are like big puppybirds, but the pet trade has decimated them. You should not acquire one as a pet. If you have one now, you should find a breeding program for it.

5 Likes

Well said and so so necessary.
Thank you for posting.

These magnificent, sweet birds are native to South America, and they listed as “vulnerable” (not “endangered” but hey… still…)

This.

4 Likes

A lot of these types of birds also cover a fairly big area as part of their habitat and being enclosed in a home isn’t exactly great for them. Same goes for smaller birds too i would assume, personally i’m just not interested in keeping birds as pets because i’d rather see them flying around living their best life.

3 Likes