Bishop revokes Middle school status as 'Catholic' due to flying Pride and Black Lives Matter flags

Originally published at: Bishop revokes Middle school status as 'Catholic' due to flying Pride and Black Lives Matter flags | Boing Boing

6 Likes

That should free up a good bit of classroom time for the teaching of more relevant subjects.

39 Likes

Look at all the people flocking from the catholic church these days.

21 Likes

Send in the nuns!

13 Likes

Do Bishops have that kind of authority? I always pictured them as being like Superintendent Chalmers.

12 Likes

I don’t see how he can stop the school identifying as catholic (small c). In fact, that’s pretty much what they are doing.

If it’s like the system here in Ontario, though, the issue is what control the bishop has over funding.

24 Likes

If “all lives matter” to the extent that Catholics shouldn’t single out any particular groups, will the Bishop also insist that capital-C Catholic organizations cease and desist their public focus on prenatal ones? Ditch all of the charitable outreach and spend (only) as much effort succoring the wealthy and powerful in favor of the poor?

Although, to be fair, that is the norm across history to this very day.

11 Likes

Obviously they should go beat the Bishop.

20 Likes

The UK Catholic bishops have form on this.

Again, Guardian links are not oneboxing - have an image to go with the link above:

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 17.27.00

10 Likes

Every (non gay) sperm is sacred!

Nah. It’s not even funny anymore. This sky god cult needs to get their shit together finally. They are given more patience and forgiveness than any other grouping and it allows for this kind of behavior.

8 Likes

A co-worker of mine was very proudly Catholic, frequently stating: “Once you’re a Catholic, always a Catholic! No matter what you believe!”
(“i believe… i’ll have another slice of cake”)

8 Likes

Bishop Robert J. McManus reveals himself to be on the wrong side of history.

You were a Catholic the moment your dad came.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Groan…

You know, I recently added my old Lutheran Pastor from when I was young (1st-7th grade or so) and was relieved to find him still the kind, loving person I remember him as. I wish there were more Christians like him.

13 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

9 Likes

Supposedly there is some kind of world-wide Catholic think tank going on at the moment where lay-people and clergy (including gay and lesbian Catholics) gather to have a chat about what it is they’re about and where it is they want to go. It’s an initiative by Pope Francis so it seems that Bishop Robert J. McManus* of the Diocese of Worcester might be going off script somewhat.

I only know this 'cos I caught the 6 o’clock news earlier but a quick google didn’t turn up anything about it. I don’t generally watch the 6 o’clock news or know anything that goes on in the Catholic church here (Ireland).

*Also, fuck this fucking throwback bigot.

(A quick google of Bishop Robert J. McManus of the Diocese of Worcester turns up that the bigot is Bishop of Worcester Massachusetts and not Worcester England as I had first assumed, which makes more sense. I expect the Bishop of Worcester England is probably a nice old gent along the lines of the Vicar of Dibley.)

giphy|nullxnull

8 Likes

So institutionalised abuse wasn’t enough to prompt this breaking of ties between schools and the church, but flying the flag for GLBT+ people is.

That’s a very interesting demonstration of their values in action.

19 Likes

He also doesn’t have much say about what goes on in the Catholic Church. The Anglican Church and the House of Lords are another matter.

15 Likes

the catholic church actively cancelling itself from indoctrinating children with fairy tale garbage can only be seen as a positive development.

7 Likes

American Catholics are weird. Wannabe evangelicals.

They need a good excommunication from the pope.

9 Likes