Bizarre alien embryo found on sidewalk after rainstorm

Originally published at: Bizarre alien embryo found on sidewalk after rainstorm | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Yet another fork in the end-times timeline.

This is fine.

14 Likes

If I may make a guess it looks like something maybe a bird regurgitated, such as a fish’s swim bladder.

9 Likes

Don’t touch it! It’s a Jersey Whitefish!

10 Likes

Baby Cthulhu is this year’s Baby Yoda.

27 Likes

Veidt squidfall?

9 Likes

200-4

7 Likes

Ahhhh. . . the time-tested “poke it with a stick” method of scientific inquiry . . .

Are we even sure it’s animal and not vegetable? Could be a seed that’s sprouted.

9 Likes

Translucent skin with light mottling suggests a squid or cuttlefish. Possibly partly digested, or otherwise mangled.

Body plan looks more like a cuttlefish. Is there a hard bone in the mantle? If so, then cuttlefish.

It’s not a huge mystery - sea life falling under heavy rains is well documented, even in Australia. Waterspouts can suck up wildlife and dump them over land.

Size and coloring suggest perhaps adolescent.

15 Likes

It looks like a recently germinated seed that has been water logged. I see what looks like a cotyledon, an epicotyl (to become the first leaves), and a pretty distinct hypocotyl (early root structure/shoot).

3 Likes

I’m guessing it’s a baby Guild Navigator like the ones from David Lynches Dune. Then again. . . .

5 Likes

Dude couldn’t find a single banana in all of Australia for scale…??

10 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s organic at all. The significant part of the video was that poking it with the stick does nothing - it doesn’t move or deform at all, which suggests to me that it’s actually a semi-solid glob of something like an adhesive that just coincidentally took an organic shape. There’s no internal structure or details, just a more opaque area and an “eye” that appears to just be a hole in the material.

4 Likes

Came here for this.

1 Like

The guy says he was nowhere near the sea.

It’s the wonder of evolution at play. At an early stage, many animal embryos are basically indistinguishable, even to trained eyes. We aren’t that different from chickens, pigs and salamanders.

Maybe it is from an animal that has miscarried or an embryo from an egg that has lost the shell?

2 Likes

It’s obviously a tree octopus

5 Likes

If it is an embryo, it would be dead so you wouldn’t expect it to move and it may have undergone rigor mortis. Your hypothesis is still a possibility though.

Embryos don’t have joints or muscles to develop rigor mortis. This blob is also pretty rigid, not squishy like animal tissue, much less a soft embryo (when he prods it with the stick, it doesn’t deform at all - also it appears stuck pretty firmly to the ground). The way it behaves is more like silicone or hot glue.

2 Likes

My bet is it’s a Twi’lek embryo:

" Bib Fortuna was a male Twi’lek from Ryloth. Bib served as a majordomo to Jabba Desilijic Tiure for many years. Considering he served Jabba for decades, it is unsurprising that few in the galaxy hated the Hutt as much as he did—the Twi’lek majordomo had tried many times unsuccessfully to have Jabba killed. A member of the Una Clan, Bib Fortuna was friendly with many B’omarr monks in Jabba’s Palace—when he died, his brain was forcibly removed from his body by the ancient religious order, and placed in a jar for the enlightenment process."

5 Likes

Texarkana isn’t very close to the sea either.