Bizarre mystery creature seen swimming in South Carolina waters (video)

Originally published at: Bizarre mystery creature seen swimming in South Carolina waters (video) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Seems like a lost squid to me.

6 Likes

Looks like a sea hare, which is kind of freaking me out because I was quite genuinely just thinking about those things before I came here.

17 Likes

Username checks out.

18 Likes

Atlantic black sea hare…+10 points!

26 Likes

I assume it’s the original owner of these:

8 Likes

I saw one of these in the Florida Keys once as a kid. Had no idea what it was until about 5/6 years ago. We were told it was nudibranch by a local. I learned a few months later it very definitely wasn’t (but I’ve been obsessed with nudibranchs ever since).

7 Likes

They are sorta cute I guess. Not sure I’d hold one myself.

5 Likes

Initially I was thinking dark-colored Flying Gurnard, but the Atlantic Black Sea Hare sure looks better for this.

3 Likes

It’s obviously a shoggoth.

3 Likes

There are about 1717 holothurian species, and while most of them usually hang out near the bottom of deeper water, humans screw with things enough to occasionally drive a critter waaay out of its comfort zone.

3 Likes

1 Like

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

2 Likes

Sorting Hat.

1 Like

Needs a banana for scale

5 Likes

For some reason the article claims sea hares aren’t native to the area, but it really doesn’t seem that unusual for people to see them all along that coast…nudibranchs too for that matter. So I’m confused why it should be such a mystery.

3 Likes

That’s Code BLUE HADES material, citizen.

2 Likes

The suggestion of a sea hare seems spot on.

It’s sad that the news—which reaches I presume hundreds of thousands of viewers—wouldn’t able to code close to this suggestion.

I sometimes feel that BB commenters should be running the news outlets fact-checking :face_with_monocle:.

1 Like

I thouht it was a Norwegian Blue. Great swimmers your Norwegian Blues. /s

2 Likes

Well, it isn’t of alien origin; the video is too clear.

2 Likes