Bizarre perfume ad by Spike Jonez is a must-see

If you want me to buy something that does little other than change my scent, then a commercial that doesn’t tell me how my scent will be different will fail to convince me.

And I agree with those who say that this video was much better in every way when it was a music video for Weapon of Choice.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

This was Weapon of Choice with a much better dancer and a much worse song and for all the frenzy, no emotion.

3 Likes

You take that back.

10 Likes

Well, I really only meant his abilities when they did Weapon of Choice. I know he can dance, but I doubt he could ever do some of the moves she does. =oD

2 Likes

Should have done a retread of Praise You instead.

2 Likes

Compositing is not really a widely-known craft, so I think people just use CGI as a shorthand for any computer-made ‘movie magic.’ I agree with you that the term itself is inadequate- it makes it sound like the computer itself is doing the creating, which is true only in the narrowest of senses! We need to get the word out about ‘digital compositing’ I guess.

6 Likes

As much as I love Walken, I prefer both Qualley’s dancing here as well as the music. There is enough variation in the “person spontaneously dances” concept for quite a few videos to coexist.

What I really want to know is where I can get those shoes that change back and forth between heels and flats depending upon what kind of moves I do!

15 Likes

I thought computer-generated imagery was the catch all for film and stills alike.

2 Likes

nice post!!

What genre is the music track in this video?

That’s why I never make “paintings” or “watercolors” or even “pencil sketches.”

(Although I do tend to call the latter “erasings,” because I use the eraser more than the pencil, it seems.)

5 Likes

Would you be happy with describing a painting you make, an application of paint, as “paint generated imagery”? Painting and sketching are verbs as well as nouns describing the resulting artefact.

Believe it or not, I do encounter people who insist that computers are black boxes which embody creative processes without human input. Using an algorithm abstracts the creative process, but this is not what is implied by the passivity of the term.

This abstraction genuinely confuses people. It’s why people say they are on a phone with you rather than talking to a phone itself. Whereas the internet is treated as a place which exists independently of human authorship.

2 Likes

Interesting off-topic discussion. Forgive me while I think out loud here on how I refer to my art… I don’t intend this to be a contradiction to any of your points, really, I’m just trying to lay it all out there from my personal experience.

I paint and I draw or I sketch. I don’t graphite, or pencil. But I do use a pencil.

But mainly I’m a sculptor. A digital sculptor, or some might say, “a modeler”. I make sculptures, I don’t make computer graphics. But I use a computer just like I might use a pencil.

On the other hand, my sculptures are virtual up until the point they get printed. Hm, and many of my illustrations, which I do illustrate, are literally computed while I sit and twiddle my thumbs. It’s a crazy old world, I guess.

4 Likes

Oh, wow! I never noticed “walk without rhythm it won’t attract the worm” in Weapon of Choice before.

6 Likes

I don’t think people are paying enough notice to the first minute (actually the first 61 seconds) of this video. Her body and facial language - frequent blinking, slumped shoulders, tears when she turns to the camera - give the dancing a completely different message from “Weapon of Choice”. Walken just starts dancing gradually, at most out of boredom. Qualley’s dancing seems to me to start as a rebellion against the role that she is playing inside the dinner hall.

12 Likes

The perfume must be amazing stuff – it even made her shoes mutate and lose their heels.

4 Likes

Wut?

Antecedent:

2 Likes

Pretty sure that bronze head is Irving from Bad Grandpa, which he produced.

No.

This is the best:

6 Likes

As perfume commercials go, this one may be a tad better.

http://youtu.be/oPKigfGYwKE

8 Likes