Bizarre perfume ad by Spike Jonez is a must-see

I don’t understand what just happened.

8 Likes

Across from me, a Dior cologne ad replays infinitely. For some reason, Johnny Depp digs a hole in the desert and tosses his bling into it.

– Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) December 21, 2015

4 Likes

Jonze is a pseudonym used by Adam Spiegel, a 29-year-old Bethesda, Maryland-bred heir to the $3-billion-a-year Spiegel catalogue business

His father, Arthur H. Spiegel III, was a distant relation of the Spiegel catalog family

• wikipedia
1 Like

He could rip himself off a few more times and it would become his “thing.” People would look forward to the next crazy dance short from Spike Jonze.

4 Likes

Wow. Most severe case of Restless Leg Syndrome I think I’ve ever seen.

10 Likes

For me, this is the greatest commercial ever made, let alone perfume ad (another directed by Ridley Scott):

10 Likes

Later that night:

“Mmmm! Hmmm! Why can’t rich people keep their goddamn hands off the mirrors.” -whipewhipe-

-Yelling in the distance -

“Oh honey, you do not want to see the shit they pulled up here.”

8 Likes

Any now something completely different…

9 Likes

I also thought immediately of the ‘Weapon of Choice’ music video.

Saying it’s a shot for shot remake is … I was going to go for something less antagonistic, but screw it: if you think it’s a shot for shot remake your are an idiot who can’t observe, recall or compare things.

Yes, there is an almost shared colour palette. But this is clearer and less darkly shot. The grading is different.

Yes, there is odd, energetic dancing going on. They both fit their music (which is also quite different).
Yet the choreography is completely different and are performed with completely different emotions throughout.

These clips very distinct from one another; saying they are the same is akin to saying Daft Punk’s ‘Around the worl’ is similar because it features unusual dance moves which are choreographed to the music.

So screw the haters. I positively love the energy this woman exudes. She is amazing in her breadth of emotional dancing. And she looks like she had fun doing it (and it must have been quite a grueling shoot, so even more props to her). I dig the music. And Jonez? He somehow made an awesomely cool thing and in the end ephemerally tied it to a product so he was paid for it too.

11 Likes

Don’t be shocked at the tone of my dress

Check out my new weapon, weapon of LASER FINGERS!

3 Likes

It’s a cool video, definitely not a remake, but there are certain similarities particularly in the use of space and the entrances from off camera. I thought it was kinda awesome.

2 Likes

So, who is the bigger hack? Spike Jonez or Martin Scorsese?

And please show your math.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Martin Scorsese is a much bigger name, because it has five syllables instead of two.

5 Likes

Reminds me of this.

1 Like

eraser best drawing tool.

I was probably 8 or 9yo when this was on TV, I remember it well. I had never heard music like that before. Never knew it was Ridley Scott, though. Nice pick!

I want to smell like THAT!

4 Likes

You are correct that saying it’s a shot for shot remake is ludicrous, but I don’t see anyone claiming that. At most someone pointed out that beyond the structure, setting and tone to a degree, there are some shots which are extremely similar to both. People are mentioning the similarities for a variety of reasons. (Director doing something similar to what he did before, possibly at the client’s request, possiblly not

Saying Around The World would be an analogous claim is ludicrous. EXCEPT for the dancing there are no similarities instead of many.

Also, people pointing out that it’s similar to Weapon of Choice doesn’t make them haters. At most it means they have a preference for it while you seem to prefer the new video. That’s fine.

2 Likes