Bizarre perfume ad by Spike Jonez is a must-see

I kept expecting Father Karras to show up…

anyone else think that “do you mind if i ask you a personal question” VO sounds like Harrison Ford?

1 Like

How exactly does one “re-make your own work?” Would you say that John Irving “re-made” Setting Free the Bears every time he included a bear or Vienna in following novels? Or maybe Lars Von Trier has only made one film with spoons and all of the others were “remakes?”

Self-deprecation works.

5 Likes

Yes! That one too!
I’m only now discovering that Ridley Scott directed these ads. that have stuck in my memory.

2 Likes

As usual, I much prefer David Lynch:

4 Likes

I really want to see the shot of a five-year-old’s birthday party that Martin Scorsese considered “too violent.”

4 Likes

“My name is Earl Bassett, and I approve this message.”

2 Likes

Maybe, but it basically is the same video, the same setting, the same color palette. It’s a variation on a theme. The power of the original was that it was a completely new theme, this is a rehash; and it’s barely acceptable only because it’s the same director doing it, everyone else would be accused to be plagiarising Jonze’s work.

Catnip for humans.

Came here to say exactly this, thank you.

Beyond the obvious point that the fashion houses are selling image, a practical reason that the ads are the way they are is that the language for precise description of smells isn’t familiar and, like many jargons, can sound silly and pretentious. I recall some celebrity perfume being ridiculed for copy that described it as a “spicy oriental gourmand.” I’ve read enough of that kind of description that it took me a second to see what was wrong with it. Initially, I just saw an informative description–spicy, as in cinnamon and clove, oriental, meaning based on a mixture that goes by the name of amber, and gourmand, meaning food-like, usually desert-like, and based on vanilla or caramel smells.

Also, many of the classic material names don’t mean much to most people. I have an odd fascination with perfumery, but I still don’t know what galbanum, or opoponax, or orris root smell like, which means that you probably might as well tell me that the scent “evokes a northern forest after a rain” and leave it at that.

1 Like

Showed this to my wife. She didn’t take the hint!

I can’t wait to see what memes this will be mined for.

And as long as we’re sharing favorite commercials this one, as far as I know, wasn’t done by a big-name director but still made me want to go and buy something I didn’t need or even like.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if this was filmed in a real place (or places)? Especially the bit with the stairs and the mirrors.

While watching it I thought it could be Lincoln Center in NYC, but as I look at photos of the venues, I can’t find a total match. Lot of parallels, though. I didn’t find an answer with a google search for the shot location. Anyhow, I’m pretty sure they would have shot in real spaces.

Those, too, but was thinking of these…

3 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t a Coca Cola commercial?

2 Likes

Just commenting to point out that’s an old article so don’t be confused by his apparent eternal youth. He’s now 46. I had to go check because I was thinking maybe this was another, younger, but still director, Spike Jonze.

EDIT: Spelling

1 Like

the first minute…sublime! brilliant!

2 Likes