Bizarre text messages sent to wrong number

I have a last name that’s fairly common in Poland, but rare in the US. The only time I’ve had a name mix-up email was while I was a contractor at an IBM site, and I got a group email saying we could all pick up our badges in someone’s office. I checked the addresses in the employee database, and they all worked at an office in Krakow. I had to reply professionally, but joked that I could pick up the badge if he wanted me to. I’m still a little surprised they were corresponding in English.

3 Likes

My take away: we’re not ready for transporters as a species.

6 Likes

In this part of the country, there are a lot of Carmas, but it’s usually short for Carmalita.

1 Like

I don’t either, but after seeing this I might start.

1 Like

Transpose the middle two digits in my parents’ phone number and you get the local (small town) grocery store. One day my sister Joanne got a very persistent old lady trying to order her groceries for delivery to the local senior’s apartments. The lady must have had dementia because she simply couldn’t understand that she’d dialled the wrong number. After a while my sister took the order down. Joanne and her boyfriend then drove to the store, bought the groceries and delivered them. The kicker is that the lady - who never realized that Joanne wasn’t a store employee - complained that she’d forgotten her eggs.

5 Likes

I just want to add my voice to some of those above. If someone calls you by mistake you tell them they’ve got a wrong number. If someone emails you or texts you by mistake you tell them that as well, or just ignore it. All of us have made this kind of mistake at least once in our lives. If your first reaction on getting a wrong number is to mess with the person who did it, you need to grow up.

4 Likes

OMG, all this time I’ve been in the wrong reality, that explains so much.
My apologies to everyone.

1 Like

Carmen is a bitch.

They’d be terrifying anyway, all Jason Statham lookalikes.

4 Likes

Heh, I got a text once from some kid saying something like “This is Paolo, I’m using Aaron’s phone. Can you pick me up at 3?”

I said “Sorry, wrong number, I don’t know an Aaron or a Paolo.”

He said “Oh never mind I got a ride with Jackson.”

I’m like …great but … you’ve solved a different problem? You’re still texting the wrong person about it?

7 Likes

I’ve had… more than one…boss… whose communiques were like this… …non sequiturs abound… and so forth…
Fuck knows how anyone who communicates like that gets promoted to a position of authority, but it apparently happens a lot.

3 Likes

It happens an awful lot. Are you familiar with the Peter principle?

3 Likes

Yes. I am reminded of it Every. Fucking. Day.

5 Likes

That’s kinda rude of your employees.

5 Likes

I have received the board minutes of an unknown condo association to my email. I had a nice conversation with an Australian diving company after they emailed me to confirm “my” coral reef adventure. I have been invited repeatedly to a certain family’s reunion- if it wasnt so far away I would go. I have called various medical practices to let them know that I was unable to confirm a stranger’s appt.

The saddest wrong number that I have received was from a woman who was hysterical when I answered. “Where is my daughter?” she was screaming, “What have you done with my daughter?!” It took me a while to calm her down, but finally convinced her I didn’t have her daughter because I am gay and uninterested in daughters. She apologized and said she was at wits end, that someone with my name had abducted her daughter and vanished.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.