Bizarre 'Wood Milk' ad with Aubrey Plaza backfires

… an industry group that was selling zero units wouldn’t have money for ads very long :confused:

9 Likes

Eh, thought it was pretty funny. Would have made a great SNL short. The fact that it was one big industry ad campaign punching out at another big industry doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s not like soy or almond milk companies are noble small businesses just trying to get by against the evil cow milk industry. They all kinda suck, but give us things we apparently want. Let them advertise those things cleverly.

7 Likes

To be fair, the alfalfa is grown specifically to use up the water allocation because it’s the most water hungry crop, in order to keep from losing allocation. It isn’t necessary to feed cows for dairy production. Your larger point about broken water agreements in the Southwest is very valid though, of course.

Whatever all this fooforah is about, I don’t care. I can’t be mad at Aubrey Plaza.

10 Likes

See also “could care less” to mean “could not care less”. Grrrr…

1 Like

It also doesn’t make sense even figuratively. Cow’s milk is an incredibly popular beverage (at least in the Western world, and in India), far more popular than alternatives.

3 Likes

At some point, the Chicago Outfit ran the dairies (as part of Murray Humphreys’,1) strategy to move muscle into legitimate business2) wherever possible).
They also introduced quality control. It was the first time people could buy milk and be reasonable sure they’d actually get milk instead of water with a bit of fat mixed in.

Source: Russo, Gus, The Outfit , Bloomsbury (2001)

1) Easily the most interesting figure of them all.
2) Possibly also the origin of the term “laundering money” as Humphreys also acquired a chain of launderies.

6 Likes

Did quite a bit of reading when we had our little one, it’s only in the 18th century that women stopped breastfeeding after a year~, up until then, the reason they call the first set of milk teeth is that children would be breastfed until they lost them, though obviously not exclusively.

1 Like

Which wasn’t my point. My point was that women understand about breastfeeding, and it’s pretty shitty to talk down to women who have breastfed and tend to be pretty knowledgeable about history and the like.

:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Oh I’m not saying you (or any other person who breastfeeds) don’t understand, my comment was only about infants, was just saying people used to feed well beyond infancy :slight_smile:

That’s the kind of well-educated confusion that brings me back to BB again and again. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’m absolutely embarrassed to be from the same generation as some of these people… Unless you’re literally lactose intolerant, please STFU. Humans have been drinking cow milk for at least 6,000 years. Any hate for dairy is purely a political disease, and has nothing to do with personal health. Her ad was hilarious, and perfectly lampoons just how crazy some people have become these days… Not everything needs to be reinvented just because you did some “research” on YouTube. Milk is milk

It’s a good ad, but the notion that only cow juice can be called “milk” is a political triumph of a major industry and how it has captured regulation. In the face of common usage, centuries of history, and contemporary trends you are not allowed to label oat milk as such in the EU.

I don’t take either kind of milk but I do take cheese and butter so I don’t have a horse in the race. But I do see how this is part of how a major corrupt and polluting industry is buying political access and power.

3 Likes

I’m not lactose intolerant; I just don’t like it when I’m told to STFU because of…reasons. Or when someone mischaracterizes very real concerns about the dairy industry as a “political disease”. The phrase “only real milk is real” is nonsense, and propaganda like this, while (IMO) mildly amusing, helps no one.

Welcome to the BBS.

5 Likes

I wood not like to make that mistake again.

2 Likes

Where did you get the information that this discussion was happening on this website?

You’ve clearly never read the site, or the forum, or even this thread.

So, how did you find out about this?

5 Likes

Yet no one badmouths Charles Henry Phillips or Bayer pharmaceutical

1 Like

There is a legitimate danger to using the term indiscriminately for both soy and cow’s milk. I have literally ended up in the emergency room because someone didn’t bother to mention that they’d used soy milk instead of dairy.

If a lactose intolerant person gets real dairy, they’ll have some unpleasant gastro issues. If I get soy or almond milk, I end up in the hospital or possibly- Though not incredibly likely- dead. Anaphylaxis is no joke, and soy and tree nuts like almond are among the most common allergens.

5 Likes

For the record, there are people who are actually allergic to cow’s milk, not just lactose-intolerant.

7 Likes

What’s this I hear? Is it… a category debate?

Seriously, though, like most category debates, this one isn’t being entered into in good faith (by the milk people, that is). No one of any linguistic credibility doubts that the word “milk” can apply to plant milks – as several others have noted, regardless of its obvious metonymic origin, the use of the word in this way is over 600 years old now and unquestionably stands on its own merits now.

Big Milk’s obvious agenda with their war on plant milk is nothing more than an overly-aggressive attempt to protect their brand. I do have real concerns that the modern world of courts and product-labeling adjudication will agree with them, which would be utterly absurd.

[edits: formatting, clarity]

10 Likes